XI

I wrinkled my nose when I entered the shop, the smell of car oil, grease and gasoline was overwhelming

I wrinkled my nose when I entered the shop, the smell of car oil, grease and gasoline was overwhelming. I noticed some guys working under the hood of a car and I don't know why I suddenly had to think of that one horror movie I once saw about a man who got crushed under his own car. I shook my head to rid of the thought and followed Tristan. I spotted Ashton somewhere in the back, working on a motorcycle. He had his headphones on and was probably lost to the world. Knowing he would lose his shit if he saw me like this, I thought it was better not to make my presence known yet.

We passed Luke welding some car parts and I inched closer to my brother when sparks of fire flew around. The man pulled his protective glasses down and grinned when he saw us.

"Hey, what's up, baby Moore! Long time no see."

"I'm good," I smiled back. I lost count how many times I tried to tell Luke my last name wasn't Moore but Jacobs.

He winced a little when he saw the gauze wrapped around my nose. "You don't look good to me. At least tell me you got the other one twice as bad."

"Sorry to disappoint."

"Aw, I taught you better than that. Remember the karate moves I showed you." He proceeded to fake fight me, throwing punches while I dodged them. At some point I even managed to score a kick and Luke cheered as if I won the WWE championship. He lifted me up in the air like some trophee and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Alright, alright," Tristan said as he tried to make Luke put me back down. "Be careful of the injured please."

"Moore!" Someone called out, causing Tristan to turn around. "I got a client waiting for you up front."

"Which one?"

"The F-150."

"C'mon Jade." Tristan grabbed my hand and pulled me away.

Luke ruffled my hair and got back to work.

Tristan lead me to their office - it was a little room with some desks and computers, and way too many files scattered around. He pulled out a chair and made me sit on it. I watched as he went to the fridge to fetch two cans of coke. He opened one and put it in front of me.

"Here, drink this."

I took a sip and watched as he wrapped a dirty rag around the other can. He found a stool and lifted my leg on top of it. He pressed the can on my shin where a nice bruise was already forming. "Hold this against your leg."

The door opened and Lily walked in. "Tris, Mr. Johns is waiting - oh, hey Jade! How you doing girl?"

Before I could answer her, Tristan cut me off. He cupped my chin and made sure he had my full attention. "I'll be right back, don't move alright? We haven't finished our talk yet."

"Mhmm," I nodded dreadfully.

Tristan pressed a quick kiss to the top of my head before he started to leave. "Lily, do you mind keeping her some company?"