17. Bailey

I love the smell of books, and in the library that I've been coming to for as long as I can remember, the smell is strong and lovely. This is my happy place.

It's my first time being here since Christmas break, and, oh, how I've missed it. All the librarians wave at me as I enter the front door and make sure I know that they moved the "New Releases" section toward the front corner of the building.

I thank them, but I'm in a different mood right now. Being home after being away for so long is making me nostalgic. I want to read the books that sparked my love for reading in the first place and head to the Harry Potter-themed corner.

I must be the only one with a HP mindset because this section of the library is dead. I find the "Sorcerer's Stone" quickly and open it to page one. I'm planning on bringing it home, but I'm not ready to leave the library yet. At the end of this deserted aisle with my back turned to the world, I'm able to fully immerse myself into the words on the paper, tuning everything else out.

Although my reality isn't too bad right now. I'm dating a boy who has my whole heart and my family loves him. The bruise on my face from Nick's fight is faded enough that I didn't need makeup today. Nick and I have hung out with Ian almost every night this week, and Amanda has even joined a couple times. There has been no tension, except when Ian talked about seeing Amanda in California. She had surprised all of us by saying she'd "think about it".

I couldn't help but feel a little proud of her. Ian had jerked her around for almost a year before breaking up with her the week before he left for college. And I was grateful that it wasn't Nick and I butting heads for once.

I still have one dark cloud that is getting harder to ignore, though. Even JK Rowling isn't enough to keep my attention from it.

Nick doesn't know the whole truth about my living arrangements with Derek next year. I take a conscious break from reading and decide right here and now that the next time I see him, I'm just going to say it. Get it over with. What's the worst that could happen? He'll be upset, but I don't think he'll break up with me because of it.

After that resolve, I dive back into my book and without realizing how much time has passed, I see that I'm already into Chapter 5. I should really just check it out and go home. Or...maybe just one more chapter?

I hear a deep voice from behind me. "Excuse me, miss? This section of the library is closed."

The voice sends chills down my spine which only intensify when I feel someone grab my elbow. I turn my head and see Nick. He sees my expression and starts laughing loudly.

I slap him on the shoulder, "Be quiet. You're in a library. Or have you never been in one before?"

His laughter dies down as he raises his eyebrows to me. "Oh really? You got jokes now?"

I giggle. "You started it, dick. Don't scare me."

He pulls me to him. "It was kind of funny though, right?"

His voice is quiet now, and I wonder if he knows what that does to me. His simple touch and secret words send a warmth through me that is hard to ignore. I try anyway.

"What are you doing here? I've never known you to hang out at the library."

"Oh, God, no. I'd never be caught dead in here," he teases. "I just order my books online. But I'm meeting my mom here to drop off my brothers—I took them hiking today. I saw your car in the parking lot, and since you forced me to watch two Harry Potter movies last night, I had a feeling where you'd be. Simon and Olly are over by the comic books."

I would like to meet his brothers but have no desire to run into his mom, so I don't suggest it. He doesn't either. I can see by the look in his eyes that he has something else on his mind. "But I do recall a nice, quiet and secluded room upstairs if you're interested."