I

one, "the sad bird"

a/n potential triggers. be careful, and i'm here to talk.

Wally West licked his lips nervously, his foot tapping almost at super-speed on the ground due to his boundless ADHD. He ruffled his fiery hair for the hundredth time, only making it even more messy.

Soon, Wally's chalant waiting came to an end due to the door opening. "Come in, Master Wallace." Alfred Pennyworth said, the usual cheeriness in his voice gone.

Wally nodded a thanks, before speeding (quite literally) up the stairs and to the hallway of bedrooms. One of the doors was slightly ajar, showing three young boys with black hair sitting quiet and perilous on a bed. Wally glanced at the door he was heading towards, biting his lip uncertainly, before walking into the room with the boys.

"You're late." Jason Todd said, his voice quiet and lacking the sass it normally had.

"I know. I'm..." Wally drifted off, gulping loudly.

"We all are." Tim Drake said quietly, holding tightly to Damian Wayne, who had let him hold him for probably the first time ever.

Wally looked anxiously across the hall, yearning to leave but knowing he should comfort the boys.

"Go." Jason stated, standing up and pushing Wally away. "He needs you more than we do."

Wally gave Jason a look of thankfulness, though grief and sadness were layered right underneath. "Thank you. I'll be back."

-

The wind blew loudly in Gotham, sounds of sirens bellowing in the cold air. The moon was full, casting an eerie light on the many buildings and trees. Gritty streets filled with criminals and strippers played loud music, creating an unusual scene. But this is what Gotham was like after midnight, he had come to accept it.

Though the music and sirens were loud, they could not cover the heartbreaking sound of him crying. Crying for freedom. Crying for all he would miss. Crying for all he would gain.

He gulped once, his silhouette dark on top of one of Gotham's tallest buildings, the moon behind him. He wiped his tears, taking a shaky breath.

- 

Wally knocked quietly before opening the door and stepping in. He was greeted with a navy blue room, decorated with a large window and window seat. Posters of The Flying Graysons and Haly's Circus were found on every wall, pictures of family and friends hung up too. A small 'R + W' was carved into the closet door, a heart traced around it.

But what pulled Wally's attention was the boy laying on the bed. His boy. Richard Grayson.

Wally rushed up to him, immediately seeing how he was unconscious. Bruce Wayne sat on the bed beside him, but speedily got up as he saw Wally draw near.

"I'll give you two some space." He stated, putting a hand on Wally's shoulder as the ginger nodded solemnly. Bruce quietly walked out of the room and closed the door.

"Hey, Dickie-Bird," Wally blinked away tears that were forming, sitting beside his boyfriend. "Can you wake up for me?"

Richard did nothing, sleeping peacefully. Wally felt prickles at the backs of his eyes, wiping a few stray tears with his hands. "Please, Dickie. I just want to hear your voice."

Nothing.

"Please, Dickie. Please. I need to hear your voice. I need you to hold me and tell me it's all okay, you're okay." Wally thrusted his head into the blankets, tears pouring out faster than ever.

"I need you, please. I love you, so much. And I can't stand to see you like this. To know you did this." Wally fumbled over his words, barely able to understand himself. Sobs wracked his body.

"I'm trying to be strong. For you. For Bruce, Jason, Timmy, Dami and Alfred. But it's hard. I need you. Your cute laugh, your annoying pranks, your little smirk when I beat Artemis in an argument. Your messy black hair that you can't comb down. Your perfect eyes that reflect the ocean. Your sassy self-confidence when you're Robin that annoys every criminal. The way you blush every time someone mentions you and me-" Wally's body shook violently, his face wet with tears.

And that's when he heard it.

That little sassy voice of his.

"Keep going, will you?"