Chapter 13

[Power remaining: 40%]

A tiny white bar in the corner showed Meiha how much energy the Ershi jetboots still had whilst gradually lowering her and Si Lei down. They landed on top of an adjacent building about two storeys high. The bulk of Chai Wah Inc.'s headquarters and the night shielded them from being noticed. Small specks of kaleidoscopic lights lined the edges around the two of them. The distant chatter from the crowd standing outside the main building was a distant hum. Meiha released her hands. Two angry red marks in the shape of her fingers grew on Si Lei's upper arms. Si Lei rubbed them, turning around.

"You got me," she said with a sigh. "Tselong wants the codes to the malware, doesn't he?"

Meiha said nothing, holding out her hand. Si Lei reached into a side pocket and deposited a chip in Meiha's palm.

"I was hoping Tselong's Shennong project would never come to fruition. A living being put inside a cybernetic body... for all of Tselong's righteous aspirations, this was the one that crossed the line."

"It will make a huge difference to the people around the world," said Meiha shortly, inserting the chip into her system.

"The Shennong has to be tested on living bodies after moving past the simulation testing. Subjects without functional bodies, people on ventilators unable to consent... I couldn't live with that." Si Lei shook her head, shivering and wrapping her arms around herself. "So unethical, no matter how you spin it. I tried to persuade Tselong to leave the project be. Bod Mods have done so much for folks who could -- would gladly -- agree to be test subjects. He didn't have to target the infirm and those who can't advocate for themselves. He wouldn't listen."

The Shennong scanned the chip. No malware detected.

"So you decided to sabotage his livelihood."

"It was just a threat. I didn't think he'd be so stubborn. I told him I'd take down the Talos System if he doesn't stop. He decided to get Fubao to fire me instead. It ruined my life."

[Connecting to Fubao...]

"You've ruined his."

"You don't understand. I'm a single mother. My child has... he's dependent on me. Will always be dependent on me. He has a degenerative nerve disease. My work in Fubao has allowed me good income, steady income. Fubao firing me meant I have nowhere else to go. Chai Wah offered me a solution. I took it. Fubao went down with me -- it was worth the hate from my former colleagues if it meant the Shennong would never see the light of day." Si Lei's shoulders sagged. "I guess I was wrong."

[Connection established.]

"Oh, thank Guanyin," came Karman's relieved. Voice. "Excellent work, Meiha. Now, aim your Yandi straight at that bat po's face and fire. We won't look away."

[Transferring files]

"I have to admit, it is quite the sight to see such a human-looking cybernetic body outfitted with the best Bod Mods available." Si Lei gave a sad smile. "I'm sorry for rambling. I guess... Tselong never truly heard me out for why I was so against the Shennong. Once his mind is set on something, especially with his creations, there was no deterring him. At least the Shennong seems to give the freedom he had imagined for people forever resigned to broken bodies. What does it feel like, this new-found freedom?"

Si Lei peered at Meiha curiously. Meiha stared back, confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, this--" Si Lei gestured at Meiha. "Moving. Talking. Eating. Flying. Beyond your imagination, right? From being bound to a bed in an unresponsive body?"