Boys' Night, Part 1

They were drunk when they stumbled out of the Point

They were drunk when they stumbled out of the Point. A bad way to start an adventure, Tierce would later reflect. But on the other hand, if they'd been completely sober, there might not have been an adventure at all.

"I can't believe you're really going to see her again," Barris said as the door swung shut on the noisy tavern behind them. It was a warm evening with no need for coats or coverings as the trio headed across the Bridge of Blades. The bridge was dark, but they were armed and had drunk just enough to be unconcerned about potential dangers. They moved unhurriedly, relaxed and easy in each other's company.

"Why not?" Romeric flashed a smile at his friends. It was the same, not-quite-decent smile he'd had when he described the encounter with his "ailenia" earlier in the evening. "I think she likes me."

"Her brother s'gonna kill you when he finds out," Tierce said. Of the three, he'd had the most to drink. Or at least, he had the least experience handling it. His words felt thick in his mouth, and he had to concentrate to make sure they came out in the right order. Talking and walking at the same time were proving to be a particular challenge, though he was sure he could compensate if he just spoke louder.

"Cael?" Romeric dismissed the notion with a snort, but the others were not convinced. Barris shot him a dour look.

"Besides Cael," he said. "Her parents will never approve. Even if you have money, they're never going to let her marry a foreigner."

Romeric's laugh was sharp and shameless. "Marry? Who said anything about marry? I just think she's pretty." He thumped Barris in the arm, Barris pushed him back, and then they shoved each other back and forth in a brief contest of strength that was gloriously inconclusive.

Neither of them noticed Tierce's sudden flush. Barris's words hadn't been aimed at him, but they stung all the same. Surrounded by his friends and the boisterous crowd in the Point, he'd managed to push aside the memory of Neda's kiss, but now it returned with a pang that stopped him in his tracks.

It was why he'd gone to the tavern in the first place, because he was so confused and frustrated by what had happened in the garden that he couldn't even think about going home. The others had found him there later and joined him in drowning his sorrows without needing to ask what they were. Which was just as well because how could ever tell them about what had happened?

Head spinning, heart aching, Tierce swayed on his feet in middle of the Bridge of Blades, unable to stop the maelstrom of conflicting emotions that assaulted him. For the first time since he came to Corregal, he wished that he'd never met Sieur Eristan, because then he never would have met his beautiful daughter, who never would be, never could be, his. He wished he'd never come to Corregal at all.

"Tierce?" The other two had stopped their scuffling long enough to notice his apparent distress. Barris peered at him with concern. "Are you all right?"