Chapter Thirty

It was well past midnight and the city was bustling.

Amid the skyscrapers with neon billboards and the congestion of automated cars, Train and Dane emerged from a dark alley with their heads covered with hoods, making it more difficult for the ubiquitous facial-recognition software to identify them.

Maintaining a low profile, they meandered through the crowded sidewalks and found refuge in a small café. The bustling metropolis was a complete change of pace than what they had been used to over the past week. Everyone seemed to be walking and talking just a little bit faster than them.

"It's funny how quickly we adapt, huh?" Dane commented.

"Yeah."

"Take me out of the city for a few days and when I go back, I feel like a foreigner from another planet."

"So what's the plan here?" Train asked.

The plan was to find some place to crash for the night, but they needed to tread lightly and remain off the grid. They couldn't exactly show up at their old homes or hangouts. The secret soldiers employed by The Shadow would undoubtedly be looking for them.

Stopping at a convenience store, Dane came out with a bag of high calorie snacks and some Titus boost energy drinks.

"Here, I got us some snacks," Dane said, handing Train a bag. Train rifled through the bag, but didn't seem too pleased with the selection.

"What is all this, man?"

"What do you mean? You wanted food, I got you food."

"This is junk. There's no nutritional value in any of this crap."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Dane said in a sarcastic tone. "I wasn't aware that you were on a diet."

"Hey, don't get smart with me."

"Are you trying to slim down? Count your calories. Get that summer six pack."

"Okay, just drop it."

"Are you trying to shed your winter weight? Drop a few pant sizes. Look good for the ladies."

"Dane, I'm warning you. I'm not in the mood."

"Trying to get lean and ripped. Work on that beach bod. Trying to—"

Before Dane could finish his last remark, Train snatched him by the collar of his shirt and lifted him off the ground.

"One more word out of you and I will put you through that window. Understood?" Train said in a threatening tone.

"Put me down, you're causing a scene."

Train set Dane down and then looked around at all the people staring at them.

"Good job tank, I mean Train. Way to blend in and not draw attention to ourselves."

"You talk too much," Train said, still noticeably upset. "You need to know when you're overstepping."

"Jeez, someone is a little sensitive about their body. Now I know your hot button. Okay, good to know. Duly noted."

"Shut up."

"You made me drop my snack," Dane complained.

"You're lucky I didn't drop you," Train said under his breath before walking off.

"Wait, were are you going?"

After getting back in Train's good graces, Dane led the way to a secret spot he knew of, but hardly ever visited. He never disclosed where they were going, but the whole time he kept referring to it as a 'safe haven'.

"Okay, we're here," Dane said proudly. "This is the spot."

They were standing in front of a discreet building with no exterior lights or signage.

"What is this place?" Train asked with reservation. "It looks closed."

"Ah, but therein lies the discreetness. Come on, it's around back. Follow me."

Dane led Train behind the building where a set of stairs was illuminated in the glow of a single light. There were no cameras or prying neighbours of any kind. The old brick building was in an industrial part of town facing the river. A cold breeze swept off the water and chilled them.

"Where are you taking me?" Train said, sounding surprisingly nervous for such a large man.

"Don't be scared, homie," Dane said with a mischievous smile.

Heading down the flight of stairs, Dane pounded on the thick metal door with the meaty part of his fist. He turned slightly to give a reassuring nod to Train. Just then, the basement door opened, allowing the escaping sound of thumping base to spill out in the back parking lot. Some words were exchanged with a large man at the door and soon after they were granted access.

As they headed further into the building, the music became louder, too loud to hear each other. Train caught a glimpse of a naked woman dancing on a stage.

"You brought us to a strip club?" Train spoke loudly. "Are you being serious, dude? What are we doing here?"

"That's weird," Dane paused, "from your tone, it... almost sounds like you don't like naked women. Which is totally cool, you know. I'm not one to judge. But I just figured you have a kid so you must be straight. I'm sorry if I misread the sitch. We can probably find something that's a little more... your flavour if you know what I mean. Something a little more... masculine if you know what I mean."

"Yes, Dane, I know what you mean. First of all, naked men are not my 'flavour'. Second, you don't need to say 'you know what I mean' after saying a really obvious statement."

"Someone is still a little cranky. You should have eaten when you had the chance."

"That wasn't food!" Train shouted.

Dane could see that Train was wound up and it was largely a result of decisions he had made.

"Look, man. I'm sorry, okay. I know I'm not everyone's cup of tea. I get it. Sometimes I run my mouth a lot. You're not the first person to point that out. Just know that it's never my intention to upset anyone. I promise I'll try to tone it down, but what I need from you is to let out a little more slack in your rope, okay? I need to flourish. I can't flourish if you're always shouting at me. Will you let me flourish?"

"I don't even know what you mean by that," Train said, still noticeably annoyed.

"All I'm saying is that I need you to loosen up a bit. It's not only going to help me out, but it's also going to help yourself out. Stress is the silent killer. It's not good to be wound so tightly. So what do you say we go in here, sip a few drinks, and try and have a good time?"

Train was reluctant to answer.

"We've both been through a lot and I think we deserve that. You never know, it could be our last time we ever see a naked woman."

"What?"

"I'm just saying."

"Don't say that."

After a few deep breaths, Train was starting to calm down. "They better serve food in here," he said before entering the club.

"Of course, you're going to love the salad bar."

"It's a strip club, they don't have a salad bar."

"I know, it was a joke. I'm trying to get you to loosen up a bit."

"Whatever, as long as I have some form of real food, I'll be content."

"Perfect. Contentment, one of the most underrated feelings if you ask me."

"Shut up."