Chapter XVI: Time

The team splits into four groups of two. Ziya and Drake stuck together, Judy and Chris formed another squad, Gregory and Gerald formed their squad, and Micheal and Tyler formed the last squad. They were all trying out Ziya's idea of having one person run in front of the door as the other looks inside as soon as the door opens. With this method, they quickly checked each door in the hallway to find their exit. Drake volunteered to be the first one to check a door. However, as he was approaching his first door, he heard loud whispering in his ears. He stopped to cover his ears for a brief moment, before Ziya asks "What's wrong?".
  "Huh?" Drake asks as he turns around, the whispering suddenly going away.
  "You stopped and kinda... freaked out for a moment" Ziya says. "Are you... alright?".
  "Y-Yeah... I'm fine" Drake says as he turns back to the door and shakes his head. He begins to take a step towards the door again, but suddenly an echoing voice rings inside of his head. "Not that way" it says. Drake flinches at first. He could not recognize the voice at all, and it seemed like no one else could hear it. Eventually, he decided to open up the door anyways and ignore the voices. As the door opens, the voice returns, saying "Not that way!". This time, the voice was much louder and it caused Drake to flinch and instinctively cover his ears. By the time he came to his senses, a turret was already aimed at him.
  Ziya was distraught by the fact that she couldn't do anything about saving Drake without getting them both killed, and could only watch as Drake was filled with bullets. When he revived, she asks "Drake! Are you sure that you're okay!?".
  "Actually, no... I'm not" Drake says, holding one hand on the side of his head as he stands up.
  "You only have ten Respawns left!" Ziya argues. "Let me be the one to open the doors from here on out. It's too dangerous if you're going to keep spacing out like that!".
  "Right..." Drake says. "You take the lead then...". Drake then stared down at his hands in disbelief. "I must've finally completely lost it..." he thinks to himself.

  Chris and Judy go to check the door at the end of the hallway. As they were walking down the hallway, Judy asks "So why are you sticking with me in particular?".
  "Because, Ziya still hates me" Chris says, "I doubt Drake would be decent at working with anyone but Ziya, since he doesn't really talk much to us at all... and I still don't trust the other guys".
  "Isn't there a saying about keeping your friends close" Judy asks, "but your enemies closer?".
  "Pfft- yeah" Chris says with a laugh, "like I'm going to take a chance on that ridiculous old proverb. Fuuuuuuuck that idea entirely!".
  Chris runs past the door to have it open, and Judy hides around the corner to peek into the room. When the door opens for a brief moment, Judy sees something that caught her eyes. "Hold on!" Judy says to Chris, "open the door again!".
  "Why?" Chris asks. "It's clear this isn't where we need to go...".
  "Just... do it" Judy says.
  Chris shakes his head in irritation, then runs past the door again. When the door opens, Judy sees a weapon around the corner next to the door. She quickly reaches around the corner and grabs it, then hides again before the door closes on her arm. When Judy takes a look at the weapon, she saw that it was a shotgun. "Oh, that's what you had your eyes on?" Chris asks.
  Judy pulls the bolt back on the shotgun to look inside of the chamber. "Damn!" She says, "it's empty. We need to find the ammo".
  "It's probably in there..." Chris says. "Did you look around hard enough?". Judy squints at Chris, then Chris asks "What?".
  "Do it again..." Judy says.
  "Fine..." Chris says as he rolls his eyes. Chris opens the door one more time, and Judy stares into the room. She sees several shotgun shells in the back of the room, right under the turret.
  "It's no good" Judy says as she leans against the wall and sighs. "The ammo is under the turret".
  "You want that ammo?" Chris asks as he pulls out his sniper rifle. "You'll get that ammo!".
  "What are you-" Judy asks.
  "Stand back" Chris says, "I'm opening the door again!". Chris runs in front of the door, but as soon as it opens, he raises his gun. He pulled the trigger at the same time the turret shot at him, and Chris fell over and died. The doors closed again, and Chris revived.
  "Are you nuts?" Judy asks as Chris gets up. "Why would you think shooting a metal turret would work!?".
  "I got it!" Chris says with a thumbs up.
  "What?" Judy asks.
  "I got it..." Chris says. "Did you... not hear me the first time, or...".
  "No, I heard you the first time" Judy says, "it just sounded like some bullshit".
  "I got the camera" Chris says. "If I'm right, the camera is what the turrets use to aim".
  "You sure about that?" Judy asks.
  "Only one way to find out" Chris says as he walks towards the door once more. The door opens, and he stands in front of the doorway with his arms open and his eyes closed, but nothing happened. The turret didn't fire.
  When Judy looked into the room, she could see the camera was destroyed and the turret was no longer pointing at anyone. "I'll be damned" Judy says, "your idea actually worked, Chris".
  "Am I a genius or what?" Chris asks as if to pat himself on the back.
  "You're definitely insane..." Judy says. "And not like... insanely talented or good... just... insane. So that's one thing".