XXXV

"So, no I know I should have treated you better,

But me and you were meant to last forever,"

It was a motherly instinct to wake up almost immediately even when hearing the slightest of sounds. Hannah's eyes snap open as she hears the sounds once more, hands balled into fists as she wiped at her eyes to clear the sleep away, letting out a yawn before swinging her legs around the sofa as she stood and stretched. Her sock-clad feet padded across the panelled wooden floor as she made her way to the light escaping from the bathroom, fingertips brushing along the wall as she walked.

She peeked into the room, seeing Louis grumble excessively at himself in the mirror, small hands grabbing the edge of the porcelain sink as he glared at himself in the mirror. He continued to mutter, lips moving quickly as he spoke to his reflection. Hannah's hand raised with uncertainty, remembering the last time she had found him awake during the early hours of sunrise.

•••

"Louis? What are you doing up?" Hannah yawned, sleeves of her sweater dropping past her hands as she shielded her mouth cutely with her sweater paws.

Louis' eyes softened when he saw his girl appear at the doorway, but tensed immediately when his mind reminded him she was not his.

"Fûck off!" He barked at her, causing her to flinch back. His voice echoed out into the chalet, causing her to glare at him. She was no longer a feeble, delicate girl who was scared when a voice was raised— she was a mother; and a mother put her children first.

"Wake up the kids and you can fûck off out of our home!" She growled back in a deep menacing tone. Louis continued to glare back, irritated she had the last word as she stalked off to check on the sleeping children.

•••

Hannah breathed in deep, knowing it was just another manic episode, her heart sinking for the only guy she had ever loved, suffering with mental illness.

"Lou?" She murmured, knocking gently on the door before stepping into the light, eyes stinging from the brightness as she gingerly moved closer to him, fingertips pressing onto his tense shoulder blades and feeling them relax as she tiptoed up to kiss the top of his spine.

"Hey," He spoke, his voice indicating to her he had been up for a while, probably stood pacing the bathroom before he began to ramble excessively at himself causing Hannah to wake up. He felt as if his mind was racing with a billion thoughts, teeth chattering with unspoken words as he marvelled at the sight of the girl he wanted to call his. Even her disheveled state made his heart melt, knowing he would do anything in his power to protect her. He hadn't realised how much he had fallen this time around, his mind scolding at him for all the bad things he had done, knowing she could never forgive him.

Hannah bit her lip in worry as she watched in space out once again, his eyes looking past her as if she wasn't there as she placed her palm at her jaw, thumb soothingly rubbing circles just under his cheekbone. She watched as he blinked out of his thought, eyes bright as he gazed into hers.

"I don't deserve you." He finally spoke, turning away so that she would release her hand, fist banging on the wall as he pressed his forehead against the cool tiles. "Stupid, stupid, stupid." He mumbled to himself, breathing heavily when he felt the presence of his love once more as she gathered the courage once more to approach him. He fought back desperately at his words, wanting to tell her to go away but also wanting to have her pushed against the wall with his mouth smashed against hers. Hannah ducked so she could slot herself between the wall and Louis, peering up at him nervously in fear he would shout at her like last time.