Starry Night Dreaming [Whouffaldi]

This may be the last of a long series of one shots dedicated to a ship of long ago. I thoroughly hope that I may create another story yet again, but only time will tell. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy this conceptual piece. It's a bit different than the rest.

--

A time and space machine is one thing, but there are days where she would have rather just sat there and been a child again in a planetarium.

The halls filled with people, staring up at the majesty of the stars, as they would never experience being in a ship and flying across the unknown. Planetariums offering shortened and much simpler explanations to the general public, giving them ideas and hopes for the children who come with their families or classmates to desire to belong with the astronauts. She let Me do her own thing, knowing that she'd be bored of a simple little human planetarium from a century that has been forgotten and useless to such a woman as Me. But Clara, she supposed that the simple human feel was enough for her to still be amazed, to bring herself a feel of humanity. Clara grabs a free audiobook from a stand and allows herself to be emerged into it, as she plugs in her earphones and she starts the words of the narrator. Distractions fading away, the people seem to have no longer existed. Just the words of the man, talking to her about the stars.

Rooms filled with marvels take her down, allowing her mind to just melt information she is sure she has heard before but pretends as though she has not. She smirks as the narrator explains the planets and the astronomers, especially recalling the day the Doctor had worn that ridiculous orange suit on the planet. It amused her how such a memory stuck, despite her long existence. She shook the thought as quick as it came and instead brought herself to more parts of the exhibits. She notes the keep out signs that riddle the place and frustrates her slightly, as most of the exhibits were behind these annoying signs. She supposes she could just sneak back in later, as some measly planetarium security wouldn't stop her from feeling human again. Nonetheless, the people around her amaze her equally as so. The children are running around, curiosity getting the best of them as parents and guardians try their best to reel them back in. Clara recalls her time as a teacher and as a nanny and a part of her wishes to return to such mundane, but it is too late to wish for such trivial things. She goes through the last bit of the planetarium and decides she will return, to see the areas that were closed off. Time goes quickly in the time machine, as she goes forward a few hours.

Clara comes back a few hours later, much to Me's dismay. Nonetheless, she goes. She slips through by utilizing her lockpick skills from another century ago and gets in with no problem to the keep out areas. She's amused to know that the other exhibits that were closed had audiobook parts as well. Those thoughts fade away however as she gets lost and submerged in the exhibits, forgetting how she had probably seen greater in the extended lifetime she was given. Clara finds herself at a specific point, in front of a comet. She plays her audiobook, allowing it to speak.

"Naked eye-comets like the one you see here comes around every other year or two. They are usually only visible in dark skies, yet we have had a chance to see such magnificent things. We are ever so lucky."

How she wished humanity had the privilege she had when under the Doctor's care and her own misadventures as well. Her eyes widen as the comet goes through another animation phase. She wondered how she would have been as a human. Only being able to see such fantasies in areas such as these. She is caught up in her thoughts, unaware someone was behind her. The audiobook had stopped, but the man speaks more about the comets. Clara, so wrapped into it, doesn't notice her narrator seems to have changed to a Scottish man.

"Humans have named such things, amusing as it may be. Hailey's comet is most likely the one everyone is aware of, but nowadays, humans have had a decrease in their thinking and have named new comets strange things. Comet Lovejoy has always seemed to amuse me. These pudding brains." A low chuckle escapes the man's throat.