Patronus [Whouffle]

Super simple Harry Potter AU and whatnot...

I had this story last year and I never did anything with it until right now. Whoops.

I don't really know what I was going with this, but hey, it's cool. Kinda.

----

"But you're Clara Oswald! You know essentially everything!" John proclaimed as the two sat in a secluded area of Hogwarts, towards the sea. They had snuck out of class again, much to Clara's annoyance. She was definitely going to get reprimanded, but seeing John's face always made her forget everything she should be doing, even if they were both prefects and had to be presentable. It surprised her just how much they could get away with, but then again, they were excellent prefects in general- if they weren't with each other.  They both adored each other, anyone could tell with just once glance. "What do you mean you can't do the Patronus charm?"

"Just because I know everything doesn't mean I can do everything." She responded back, running a hand over her wand. John pouted.

"Neither can I." John shifted uncomfortably in his seat, "I can't do the Patronus doo-hickey either."

"Really?" Clara looked towards him, "You're well-versed in everything. The pride of Gryffindor, right?"

"Yeah, but you're the pride of Hufflepuff. That's saying something." John responded back. The two looked at each other before bursting into laughter. Clara was often known as the 'pride of Hufflepuff,' the sweetest and kindest out of them all, with a hint of a bossy complex that was always overlooked when seeing her achievements. It was one of the reasons why she ended up being a prefect. Clara slapped his arm playfully and John smirked.

"I've had difficulty in casting the spell." John explained once the laughter had died down. "All my happy memories always seem to turn to my most painful. Even if I focus on the happier side of the painfulness, I'm still going back to the painful side. It doesn't make any sense to me. It's not that hard to think of happy memories, but-,"

"-when you need to actually think of them for a purpose it doesn't work out?" Clara finished.

"No, hardly." John slumped, looking to his wand.

"When was the last time you tried?" Clara asked.

"I haven't tried since last year, though it failed. You?"

"Last year as well." It was Clara's turn to shift around uncomfortably. "My mother had passed away when I had to try it and all those happy memories seemed to have faded away. I haven't tried again. I've been scared to do it ever since." She admitted quietly, peering out onto the sky. It was dark and gloomy, as usual, but it was something to look at besides John's all seeing eyes.

"Well, I'll be here every step of the way. I'm scared too." John said, holding a hand out. She held it, enjoying the warmth of his hand, warming her better than any glove could ever. They looked out to the ocean, their hands still interlocked.

The two thought of their happiest memories, shooting out in the dark for a memory. For Clara, she expected it to be the day she was accepted into Hogwarts. She didn't think she would have it in her, especially after being a squib. Her mother had always believed she'd get an invitation, which made her train and attempt to learn all the spells possible. For John, he expected it to be the day he had been sorted into Gryffindor. He didn't want to follow in his father's footsteps and go into Slytherin. It was kind of a saying, 'once you're sorted into Slytherin, you're probably a villain.'

Despite this, they were both surprised. It was not either of those memories. It was something neither of them expected.

It was when they had each other.