Part 13: Vel

"Last I checked, I'm lugging this flamer because we'd be cutting our way through a buttload of giant mushrooms," Nova said with a glance over her shoulder.

Ahead of her Hathor used a pair of machete shaped hot knives to create a path through knee-high tubers. The searing blades easily cut a swath through the field of half-inch thick fungi. Vel eyed the habitat dome in the distance as she consulted her datapad. Two clicks north by northeast. They were definitely in the right place.

"She's right, Vel. Something's wrong."

"Shut up, Blake."

"Whoa, what did I say?"

Vel glanced back at Cupid's squad. Kris and Cody were watching the rear, rifles at the ready. "What haven't you said?"

Blake followed her line of sight and swore.

"Vel, it sort of slipped out," he whispered. "Besides... I thought you'd be happy."

"Happy? Good job, Blake. Next time keep the help to yourself."

The hike to the habitat dome was uneventful. Ranger Team 1 we're prepared for a hostile response, but received quiet countryside and partial cloud cover. It left Vel uneasy. Once they reached the dome her squad searched for signs of the mysterious aggressors while Cupid's secured entry. Vel scanned the soil for footprints and residual heat signatures. Despite faint impressions left behind by Ranger Team 2 there was nothing to be found. Blake took a few wide angle shots of the terrain, taking special care in capturing the open space stretching between habitat and LZ. Hathor collected samples of the enoki-like mushrooms she'd cut a path through.

"Hey, Nova, you think we can eat these things?" Cody asked over the general comms.

"No!" replied the rest of the team in unison.

"Okay, okay. I don't even like mushrooms any way. They just look like enoki."

The airlock opened with a loud displacement of air. Cupid signaled for the team to advance, and Vel led her squad inside.

She searched the gloom for signs of movement. Vellitus adjusted the audio filters to focus on any background noises, and to sync with her HUD's markers. With quick hand signals she instructed her squad to fan out. As per Cupid's mission plan they moved through the southern residential region in search of life and activity. The sergeant's squad would follow 50 feet behind.

They moved with swift efficiency, one squad standing vigilant watch while the other scanned streets and buildings. Alternating roles they made their way towards the city center. Lieutenant Dumas gave strict instructions to avoid engaging the enemy, but he also wanted Manning's body recovered if at all possible. Cupid, always objective oriented, directed the team to Manning first.

When they reached their destination there was no body just dried blood, and withered vines.

Vel directed the team to create a wide perimeter, and look for any clues. In the interim she switched to the command channel.

"What do you think, Sergeant Godheart?"

"The body's been moved. Splitting the team will increase our chances of finding it, but it will also decrease our combat effectiveness." Clinical, and Concise.

"I can take Hathor and Cody. If anyone has a chance of finding Manning, it's them. Just give me the order, sir."

"Hathor and Krisalys," Cupid corrected.

Vel flinched. Of course she knew Hathor and Kris were the best trackers, both feeding off each other's abilities to outperform all the rangers. She just wasn't ready to risk having to discuss with Kris what he'd said. Vel shook her head, took a deep breath.

"We could find the body."

"No, for defensive purposes we preserve our numerical advantage."

"Then we search section by section."

"Agreed."

"Listen up," Vel ordered over general comms, "We begin a sweep of the area. Aphrodite, Blake, and Nova on watch. Hathor and Kris on point. We're looking for Manning's body, and any sign of whoever or whatever took him out."

The team formed up on Vel's position.

"Weapons up."