Part 3: Captain Robles

"As far as we know the relay uplink is merely down, and First Team is fine," Jack Fisher said with his artificial laugh that always rubbed Captain Alison Robles the wrong way.

"We've had no contact with First Team for the last five years, Mr. Fisher. Anything could have happened to them," voiced Adnan Singh, Colony Advocate.

"And I'm sure your concerns have nothing to do with the VR Vids you're consumed with."

"Wha... How dare you? How I spend my private time is my own concern."

"Not when it costs the company licensing fees, Mr. Singh. As finance liaison Embrine Corporation's bottom line is my concern."

Captain Robles watched the fight seep out of Adnan's face. She shook her head. Singh was an elected official, subject to the whims and caprice of the ship's passengers. Fisher was chosen by the VP of colonial affairs. He had no official position within the hierarchy of the ship's crew or the colonists' political structure yet everyone was cowed by his smug comments and the threat of him making an entry in his financial report. No matter the person's role on Deep Colony-50 they were ultimately employees of the corporation hoping to retire with a substantial pension.

The captain couldn't stand the man.

"Right. As I was saying, we don't actually know what is happening planetside. HQ received the all clear beacon which means the habitat dome is up and running." Jack turned towards the huge display behind him. "Eddy, are we still receiving signal from the beacon?"

Deep Colony-50's Low-Face filled the wall.

"The aberrant storm has blocked all scans, telemetry, and radio waves to and from the planet."

Jack looked like he'd swallowed a bug. Allison took a bit of perverse joy from seeing the smile wiped from his face.

"Why do you call the storm aberrant, Eddy?" Lieutenant Dumas sat up, leaned forward.

He was in command of the ship's Colonial Ranger Platoon. It was after considerable debate that Dumas and Robles agreed to send Ranger Team 2 down to investigate the habitat.

"Because the storm is an aberration, Lieutenant." Eddy's Low-Face shrunk, and meteorological readings filled the display. "Over the last three days long range scans of the atmosphere have shown no signs of inclement weather. However a rapid shift occurred when we entered orbit. The skies above the habitat dome filled with gale force winds and inexplicable storm clouds. For lack of a better explanation, Lieutenant, this mid-class storm system simply appeared out of thin air."

The timelapsed atmospheric readings held Captain Robles enthralled. She recorded the display to her datapad for later analysis. She didn't know much about storms, but she was inclined to agree with Eddy's assessment. The storm was peculiar to say the least.

"It's a minor tropical disturbance. It will pass," Jack assured the room. "Our concern is the beacon. The beacon can't operate unless all essential habitat systems are running at full power. The dome is-"

"Could the beacon have remained active in the case of a catastrophic system failure?" The Captain asked, her voice grabbed the attention of all present.

"No. Well, yes... not really," Fisher stammered.

"Actually, though rare, CSFs have happened before. It's why the CSF protocol exists," Eddy corrected.

"Captain, you can't think the colony has failed ... can you?" asked Max Fuller, head of hydroponics.

"I don't, but this assemblage has to be prepared for such eventualities." Alison rubbed the bridge of her nose. "The question is are we capable of turning back."

"It's a ten year journey back to the nearest gridport," someone shouted.

"Worst case scenario we put everyone in cryo, and rotate a skeleton crew to monitor Eddy's systems."

"I can monitor myself, Captain Robles."

"I know, but-"

"This is all moot!" Jack interrupted. "Ranger Team 2 will make contact with First Team, and this speculation will prove pointless."

A hush fell over the assemblage as eyes went from Fisher to the Captain. Colony Advocate Singh stood, concern written on his face.

"We were unaware that rangers were sent down to the surface."

Damn you, Fisher, Alison thought to herself. You did this on purpose. She stood, wrapping the power of command around herself like armor.

"In concern for the passengers aboard this ship and the members of First Team, I used my executive authority to order Lieutenant Dumas to sortie his people."

"That goes against the democratic spirit of the assembly."

A number of people stood up, adding their concern to Singh's. Alison glanced at Fisher who smirked, and gave her a mock salute.