Part 5: Captain Robles

"Captain, you wanted to be informed when changes occured in the aberrant storm," Eddy said as his low-face appeared on the lift display.

"I'm listening," Alison grumbled.

"I detect a spike in your cortisol levels.  Might I suggest a booster of beta-blockers to even you out?"

"I've asked you repeatedly to stop monitoring my vitals, Deep Colony-50."

"And I have repeatedly reminded you that I have been tasked with observing the vitals of all shipboard personnel, Captain Alison Marisol Robles."

She glared at the digital face and snarky expression staring back at her.

"I'm not in the mood, Eddy."

"You're in some kind of mood, Captain."  The tan colored low-face smirked.  "Look, don't begrudge me my only form of entertainment.  Please."

"You're a voyeur."

"And you're pissed.  I'd hate to be the target of your ire."

"But you look forward to watching from a front row seat."  She shook her head, some of her bluster melting away despite her anger.  "I don't like being blindsided or played for a fool."

"Ah, you're looking for Mr. Fisher."

The lift stopped abruptly on recreation level A.  Alison raised an eyebrow as the doors slid open.

"He's watching the medical staff exercise from the observation balcony again."

"Again?"

"Humans are nothing if not creatures of habit."

The captain shook her head and disembarked.  Down below was one of the ship's four gyms, this one used for cardio training, pilates, and yoga.  The space was full of mats and training balls but no free weights or workout machines.  Eddy assisted an instructor in taking 14 women from the medical staff through a very physical aerobics routine.  Jack Fisher watched from the far end of the balcony.  Apparently the ship's Core AI wasn't the only peeping tom onboard.

Jack was so engrossed in the scene below he didn't notice Alison approach.  Disgusted by the expression on his face she spun him around and grabbed him by the collar.

"What are you playing at, Fisher?" she snarled.

"Wha- why? Huh?  I wasn't playing with anything!" he stammered.  "What are you talking about?"

She found the shrill tenor of his voice satisfying.

"You begged me to deploy the rangers then feigned innocence in front of the assembly!"  She tightened her grip.  "What's your game?"

"I... I needed plausible deniability if... if the others caught wind... you're choking me."

"Captain Robles, I must ask you to release Mr. Fisher," said a series 4 construct as  it carefully took hold of Alison's wrist.

She turned and more of the machines were exiting the lift.  The one beside her had a pink low-face with thick eyebrows and narrow eyes.  Alison let go of Jack.  The construct released her and stepped back to join her two companions.

"Are you okay, Mr. Fisher?" They asked in unison.

"He's fine."

The constructs ignored her.

"I'm fine, I'm fine.  Thank you," he said, rubbing his neck.

The constructs nodded and departed, leaving Alison to ponder their behavior.

"I represent the company, Captain Robles.  If there is a chance the passengers may turn on the ship's leadership, I must endear myself with those in charge."

"Even if the mutiny is your doing?"

"Even if."  The little weasel of a man crooked his finger in her face.  "Let me remind you that we are all employees of Embrine, and in that capacity I am the highest ranking official on this vessel."

She grabbed his finger and squeezed hard enough to crack his knuckles.

"Let me remind you that we are years away from corporate.  On this ship I am the authority!"

He dropped to a knee, wincing on the verge of tears.

"Captain," Eddy's voice said from a nearby data node.

"Jack's fine, Eddy.  We're just having a discussion about the size of our genitals."

"CAPTAIN!"

"What?!"

"Lieutenant York and Ranger Team 2 are enroute," Eddy reported.  "They have wounded, and have taken casualties."  The Core AI's tone was calm and conversational, at odds with his grim tidings.