Good night sweetheart

The doorbell rang and Fletch smirked to himself
"Best man, get that would ya"
"You're a lazy pig Fletcher" Emily said throwing a cushion at him as she went to the front door
"But you still love me"
"Yeah yeah I still l...." Emily stopped mid sentence as she opened the door to see Sarah standing there
"Surprise" Sarah said looking sheepish
"What are you...how did you ...?" Emily struggled to comprehend the situation
Sarah put her bags down and pulled Emily into a tight embrace. Both girls started crying.
"Who was at the door?" Asked Sacha coming through with more beer
"Emily's girlfriend Sarah. Let's go in the kitchen mate" Fletch said standing up "give them some privacy"
"Ok" said Sacha "then is somebody going to tell me what's going on"
Fletch explained the situation
Sacha sighed in exasperation "I wish people wouldn't assume that they can decide whether or not the other person can handle being hurt or getting upset if they're sick" he looked at Fletch pointedly "or decide that their past is a predictor of their future so better not to let people in, or open themselves up to families and happiness"
Fletch knew he was talking about Jac. He held his hands up
"Hey she's your best friend not mine. Anyway it's all good we're getting married tomorrow remember"
"You both wasted so much time though Fletch"
"We are in danger of getting really maudlin here. I'm not having it. More beer"
Sacha chuckled "just one. Jac will kill me if you turn up hungover tomorrow"
"I'm fine"
Meanwhile Emily and Sarah had moved to the now empty living room
Emily laughed hollowly at Fletch's uncharacteristic sensitivity at vacating the room
"Drink?" Offered Emily
"I'm fine thanks. I had a drink with Jac"
"Of course. And she told you where I was"
"Don't blame her. I came a long way to see you Emily"
"I don't blame Jac, she's great. But after what we said, what we decided"
"What WE decided?" Sarah said raising her voice "what WE decided? I did not decide to have my heart broken and my sick girlfriend telling me she didn't want to be with me"
"I was trying to stop your heart getting broken" Emily said quietly "I thought I was protecting you"
"Darling my heart's broken either way. I just want to be there for you"
"I can't let you watch me die"
"It's not just your choice Em. I love you I want to be with you, support you, hold your hand through everything. Unless you don't love me anymore"
"Well that's the stupidest thing you've ever said of course I love you, that's why I can't put you through it"
"Babe please...." A single tear rolled down Sarah's cheek
Emily looked at the woman she loved and thought of all the fun crazy things they'd done together, how much Sarah had supported her when her mum died and how she'd been with her in the doctor's office when she got the news about the tumour. She just wanted to protect her but looking at her now - broken, Emily realised she'd already hurt her
"Don't cry sweetie" Emily said drawing Sarah into her arms "I'm being selfish, didn't want the guilt of seeing you suffer, I thought if I pushed you away....but you're impossible to get rid of right?"
Sarah nodded
"So you're giving me no choice about letting you watch me die?"
Sarah shook her head
"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" Emily stroked Sarah's hair "sshh" she soothed as Sarah cried "if it was the other way round of course I'd want to be there no matter how much it hurt. Can you forgive me, will you stay?"
Sarah pulled away from the embrace
"Are you serious? You sure"
"I need you" Emily finally admitted
Sarah placed her hands on Emily's face and pulled her in for a tender kiss.
"So you want to stay here for the night?"
"Erm I guess. I hadn't really thought beyond seeing you. No hotel or anything"
"Stay here I just need to speak to Fletch"
She went into the kitchen where she found Fletch and Sacha playing cards.
"Oh hey everything ok?" Fletch asked taking her hand as she sat down
"It's all fine" Emily smiled
"So you're back together?"
"Yes we're back together"
"Sarah obviously took Jac's advice"
Emily looked confused "Oh I'll tell you another time" he said
"Right can she stay here tonight?" Emily asked Sacha
"Of course. You can have Emma's old room"
"So do we get to meet the famous Sarah?"asked Fletch
Emily blushed "I did go on about her a bit didn't I?"
"Just a tad"
"Well you can talk mister all you ever wrote about in your emails was about Jac , even before you got together"
"Alright, alright call it quits"
Emily laughed "come on she's dying to meet you"
Sacha stayed sitting
"Come on you too Sacha"
He chuckled at the exuberant Emily. "Ok I'm coming"
It was lucky that the wedding wasn't until the afternoon as the four of them chatted until past 1am
As Fletch settled down in Jac's bed it was difficult not to remember the times they'd spent there together. In fact was Luc not conceived in this very bed. He couldn't believe his luck that he would be marrying Jac Naylor tomorrow. Not only was he marrying her, they had a son together and five more children who felt as much theirs as Luc did.
Fletch reaches for his phone and texted Jac
Good night sweetheart. Can't wait to marry you tomorrow. I love you so much. F xx
He pressed send and imagined Jac rolling her eyes at his soppiness
I don't care he thought as he drifted off to sleep, it's true.