Chapter nineteen

Alec took a deep breath. Two men and one lady entered the training room. "Hello!", the young woman greeted," I am Tessa. Me, William and James will decide who will be in the company for this years' contest. James will tell you a little more about the contest." The man next to her nodded. He had almost white hair and was very pale, although he was really young, too:" Hello, everyone. I'm Jem, and we will pic out four people in total. We already have a certain choreography in mind so we already know what we want. Now it's up to you to give us your absolute best." "We are picking a trio and a solo. We are totally sure you all are really good dancers, otherwise you wouldn't be at NYABM. Still, we will search the best of the best. Good luck!", the dark-haired guy, William, added. The young lady smiled again and clapped her hands:" Alright! I am so excited! First, I want to see Raphael and Maureen." The lady was a true sweetheart. She was so kind, but the other guys seemed to be nice too. Everyone apart from Raphael and Maureen went to the other training room. It was the room Alec's journey at NYABM has begun. Here he has met Raphael and Simon, and like now he has been really nervous and excited to show two men and a woman what he could do so that they could decide it they want him. Whoa. It has been such a trip already and he recalled it was already three months since he has been in the same situation. So much changed. He has already learned so much. Not only about dancing, but also about himself. He changed. Not only mentally, but also physically. He felt muscles of which he never thought they have existed. "Hey.", Simon said and stroke Alec's arm," You okay?" Alec smiled weakly and nodded. Jonathan was constantly staring at him, which was really scary. Not that he was afraid of Jonathan, he just couldn't tell what might happen next. Jonathan was so unpredictable. Simon and Alec have been talking as Raphael came back into the room, his and Maureen's face red. Raphael immediately sat down on the bench next to Alec and leaned backwards against the wall. His chest was lifting and lowering. His breath was still really fast and Alec could see the sweat running down his face. "Are you okay?", Sion asked. Raphael shook his head:" Water.", he gasped. Quickly, Alec stood up and got his bottle and handed it to Raphael. Thankfully, he took a few pulls. "Better.", he said. His voice was already calmer. Sebastian and Aline entered the training room. "How was it?", Alec asked. Raphael took a deep breath and started:" Well, they are really calm. We had to dance the choreography, repeat certain figures. Then we had to do other lifts, shown by them. They tested our strength, flexibility and body posture. It is hard, but it also so much fun." Alec nodded. After some time, Maia and him were finally called out. Maia took Alec's hand and they stepped into the training room. "Hey!", William greeted, "Tell us something about you- Name, age and Career." Maia started:" SO, my name is Maia Roberts, I am eighteen years old and I danced at New Jersey local ballet school for eight years. Now I am in first semester at NYABM." Tessa nodded. "Hi, I am Alexander Lightwood, I am nineteen years old and I finished Brooklyn Dance Academy." James nodded:" That's quite something! Okay, please show us the choreography." The music started playing, Alec took a deep breath and stood in his first position. The first part of the choreography was mainly a woman's solo, then a men's solo. When Maia finished her part, Alec started. He started with his rondes des jambs, a then got to the turnings and the jumps. His heart beat in the rhythm of the music. Alec was concentrated, but also very emotional when he was dancing. He pictured Isabelle in his inner eye. She was smiling, wishing him luck. He imagined his brother Jace saying he got this. Then, he had to do s split jump. Those were really hard, but then he imagined Max. His cute little face, his big eyes staring at Alec, smiling, being grateful for having such a gorgeous brother. Alec felt the love, the anger, the passion like a flame in his heart. He collected all his energy, tightened all his muscles and jumped. High. Really high. And he landed. And the best of it all was that it looked good. Then, they had to do the partner part. The liftings. The complicated figures. Maia threw herself onto the floor, so Alec could pick her up. He was really afraid of lifts, and Maia knew that. He was afraid he could drop her, be responsible for another person's death or massive injury. He looked into Maia's calming deep brown eyes. Then he collected all his energy again. He imagined how proud Magnus would be if he would be in the company. Alec took a deep breath and lifted Maia as they were told to do. Maia was already op to his chest. Now was the moment. Alec concentrated and stretched his arms. There she was- high above his head. He did it. His arms did already begin to shake. Alec bit his lips. The last seconds of the song felt like hours. As the music stopped, Alec could finally let Maia down to the floor again. Both sighed and relieved and Maia gave Alec a high-five. "We did it!", she shrieked. Alec grinned and gave Maia a hug. Tessa, Jem and Will clapped their hands. "Well done!", she said, "You had not a single mistake, wow!" Alec was actually proud. "I am actually really happy with what I saw. Can you two just split really quick for us?", William demanded. Both nodded and did a split. Tessa clapped her hands in amazement:" Perfect! Honestly, there is not a single thing to criticize. See you later, thank you!" Hand in hand, Alec and Maia got back to the others.