Chapter 15 - Attack

Start from the beginning

"Samuel," the man whispered into my ear. Pressing my back into his chest in an attempt to let my guards down. I knew this all too well.

I recognized the name from somewhere. It was at the tip of my tongue.

I could breath, suddenly, and in the time the man had let his own guard down, I reached for a trusty knife stored in my pocket 'just in case'. Slashing at the hand now recoiling from my throat, and the other holding the pistol. Causing the small gun to fall to the ground with a clatter. Before Samuel could grab his weapon back, I had stepped on it. Slashing and stabbing while yelling. Making enough noise to attract just about anyone nearby.

With a sudden flash of strawberry blonde hair, the man was on the floor; a silver bullet through his chest.

"Eren! Are you alright?" Petra asked. Obviously shaken up.

"Yeah," I replied. Gazing over her shoulder at the gruesome sight: Oluo hunched over. His mouth and bullet wound gushing crimson, and Samuel; who was struggling to breath at this point.

"Petra," I said quietly. A breathy sigh escaping my lips as I looked towards the floor.

"What is it, Eren?" She asked. Obviously worried from my expression.

I turned her to face Oluo, and she stiffened.

"I-...no," she gasped. Clasping her open mouth with a small, trembling hand. The girl ran over to the man's side. Checking for any signs of life, and bursting into a fit of sobs. I bent down to turn Samuel over, and cringed when I saw he was still alive. Eyes blank, but holding obvious regret as they flickered over to meet my gaze.

"I never said 'I love you'," he whispered. Clenching his eyes shut as a single tear fell from his face and disappeared into the depths of the hood still halfway on his head.

With a gasp. He reached for my face. I knew he was too weak to do any harm, so I let him gently brush my cheek with a flimsy hand. "I- I want to see Zinx again. Please..." he said. His voice low and brittle.

"Maybe later?" I asked. Trying to comfort the dying man as best as possible. He was out to kill Levi, yes, but he was like me. He loved someone, and in his last moments, desperately wants to see them. Wants to talk to them, and hear their replies. Wants to feel their soft touches upon their skin to ease the pain.

With the last of his energy, Samuel reached in the air. Grasping nothing but thin air before his arm fell limply to his chest. His last breath escaping his lungs like freed birds.

"He's gone," I announced. Turning to see Petra, who was watching me with tears bubbling from her eyes at the loss of Oluo.

This world has so much beauty in it.

But that beauty will come to an end sooner or later.

And when it comes, we aren't prepared for it.

So when it hits us, we fall into deep sadness and depression.

People are going down one at a time.

And I wonder.

When is it my turn?

Levi's P.O.V:

"And with the loss of our great king, we shall find a new one to take his place. I only feel it's right to bestow Marco as the new leader," someone with a great amount of power over the land said. Gesturing towards the teary-eyed freckled boy standing beside me. Marco brought me because he was uneasy being here without Jean, us being enemies with him still. I requested to be allies with them, but with no one to lead, they had to find someone to make that decision.