And this is why I cant have nice things

The journey to the misty mountains was estimated to be about three weeks long. Thorin had kept the company on a strict sleep schedule. They made camp early, slept for about four hours, and then set off again before dawn.

Amaris had bonded slightly with the Durin brothers since their lengthy chat at Rivendell and they often hung back to walk along her and make small-talk. Balin had been polite to her since he, unlike Thorin, didn't see why she shouldn't come along. Bifur and Bofur were as welcoming with her as they were with Bilbo. Bifur contented himself by making happy mumbling noises and waving whenever he saw her. The hobbit himself acted kind of lukewarm towards her but she didn't blame him since he probably feared Thorin's wrath.

She often found Ori looking back at her timidity as if he wanted to approach her. Dori, on the other hand, did not approve of this and was always quick to usher him away. The mother hen had been reproachful of her at seeing her ability to turn into a four-legged furry creature and kept mumbling something of it being unnatural and shot her distrusting glances. Same went for Dwalin, Gloin, who liked to pretend she didn't exist. Along with Nori, who she guessed had to do with her not sharing her food after stealing his drumstick. Bombur was slightly disappointed that his promise to get more meat for the company was conditional; rocky path offered little prey apart from the spare mouse, beetle or bird of prey. Amaris contented herself with catching and munching on the small rodents as a wolf. Witch also served as a form entertainment since they scurried so quickly across the rocks.

"We make camp here, get some rest. We'll leave in a few hours," announced the leading dwarf after a particularly chilly day of walking. Most of the company was greatly relived and plopped themselves down on the ground in sighing in relief. Amaris, who was traveling in canine form to keep herself warm, settled on catching her own dinner as Bombur cooked theirs.

She watched the mice scurry around for cover as she played with them with her large black paws. The end of her tail wiggled at the entertainment she was receiving from the easy hunt after a long day of just walking. She let out short and soft playful barks and growls as she play pounced and lunged only to miss on purpose. Some of the company noticed her little game and chuckled at her playfulness.

"Silly lass," Bofur joked under his breath, earning some chuckles and nods from his companions. His comment caught Dwalin's attention who turned to her and frowned.

"Didn't they teach you not t'play with yer food?" He growled as he rose an eyebrow at her, as if her enjoyment annoyed him. She looked up with a wolf-frown and huffed rather angrily, then bent down and caught a mouse in her maw and walked over to lay down to eat. No fun allowed apparently.

After evryone turned back to seating up camp and eating, Amaris felt someone come a sit beside her. She stopped chewing on the mouse carcass she held between her paws and looked up to see who had joined her. It was Kili, he had his bowl food with him and was smiling warmly.

"Thought I'd make you company, Dwalin can be a little bit of a joy-kill," She gave an 'uff' sound and face that read 'tell me about it'. Kili chuckled at her reaction although he didn't understand what she said. They ate in silence beside each other, watching the company eat and go to sleep before it was time to go again. When Kili finished his dinner he reached up and scratched her behind the ears. A small cloud of dust was created as Amaris thumped her tail against the ground and yawned. She set her head down and sighed tiredly as her eyes drooped, Kili still scratching her head.

"That,-that's nice'"she yawned as sleep nagged at the edges of her vision. The young prince chuckled at her drowsy little growl. Soon enough she was asleep. Although not for very long.

"Psst! Ey, lass! Wake up. You've got last watch," she was gently nudged awake by Bofur, recognizing his voice since her eyes were still closed.

"Five more minutes, Bofur. I'm not up for this," she grumbled even though it just came out as a bunch of unhappy 'uff's and soft growls.