Chapter 13

(The story will always be set in Rose's POV unless stated differently at the beginning.)

"I can't believe you just got me to tell that story. No one knows that apart from my mom."

Ethan shook his head in shame as everyone laughed, shouting and teasing him about the story he just finished explaining.

We were all sat around the fire - Finneas playing light aimless melodies on his guitar, just enjoying each other's company.

Billie slotted back in normally enough, and no one brought up what had happened - I wasn't sure whether to give her space or just pretend the little argument never went down.

I just awkwardly avoided it, instead.

Everyone started doing their own thing - the twins were making s'mores with Claudia, Finneas playing the guitar with Luke, and Macy was on her phone as usual, but laughing occasionally to something the twins said.

I began packing up some of our things into the cooler, to make sure we didn't leave any trash behind. Soon enough, I heard a low chuckle behind me that always made my heart skip.

"You saving the planet, mamas."

Turning to glance back at Billie, I smiled as I carried on packing up the cooler, sorting things into trash and keep.

"Yeah, well. Someone's got to."

Billie laughed again, and crouched down next to me - she looked as though she was just watching my hands, but I knew she was thinking of something to say next.

I ignored how the moonlight looked reflecting in her eyes and carried on with my tidying.

She licked her lips before breaking the small silence that had formed. "So," she mumbled, looking down at the sand to draw random shapes with her finger. I sat back and crossed my legs, just watching her. "I'm... sorry about what I said earlier. Honestly. I didn't mean any of it, I don't know what came over me."

Her voice cracked slightly at the end of her sentence and she stopped talking abruptly, swallowing and paying attention to the sky full of stars above.

A small smile tugged at my lips as I looked at the stars as well, moving close enough to her for our arms to be touching.

"You know I don't care, Bil. I know you're probably stressed, I was just there at the wrong time. It's all good."

I saw her smile and shake her head lightly out of the corner of my eye, combing her hands through her hair.

She sighed heavily, refusing to break the eye contact she had going with the moon. "Man," she almost whispered, as if she wasn't talking to me.

I glanced at her and raised an eyebrow as she just laughed, meeting my eyes with her own, a playful twinkle sparkling in them. She studied my face, a small smile gracing her lips as she watched me, before laughing again and leaning back on her hands.

"You're something else, dude."

We sat in comfortable, somewhat silence for the rest of the night, enjoying being with each other more than anything.

I kept her hoodie on.

We all went back to the motel we were staying at for one night before we moved locations.

Her hoodie stayed on me.

We all went to sleep in the same, big room - Ethan and I sharing a squeaky, single bed.

I slept in Bil's hoodie.

Shit, man. I always fall for the straight girl.