Chapter 12

Usagi twelve

>>>>CHAPTER 12<<<<

>>>>Nightmare<<<<

"Uncle Guy is here to pick you up!" Guy struck the ‘nice guy’ pose.

[Go away.] Usagi held her notebook up at Guy, who burst out in tears.

"My youthful little Red! How could you betray your uncle?!"

[I’ll go with you if you teach me more taijutsu.] She bargained.

"Deal!" Guy recomposed himself.

A taijutsu session later, Kakashi showed up at Guys house.

"Yo." He greeted, acting as if he never went on some emergency mission.

"Ah Kakashi, my eternal rival, Little Red is growing stronger by the day!"

"You trained with him?" He questioned, glancing at his daughter.

Usagi nodded, holding up her brand new leg weights.

"Kami... I should have asked Anko to look after you." Kakashi sighed. He didn't really trust Anko with Usagi, but he'd rather her than Guy. 'I’ll ask Kurenai next time.'

Upon arriving back home, Usagi asked a question. "Dad, the mission you went on... Was it to find Sasuke's brother?"

Kakashi nodded. "So you know what happened?"

Usagi nodded, looking down at the ground.

"I'm sorry, Usagi." Kakashi embraced the young girl. She was clearly upset by what had happened.

The rest of the night was very quiet. Before going to bed, Usagi looked up at the night sky.

"I wish… For everyone to be happy."

---- ---- ---- ----

"Usagi..." A familiar voice called out, but something was different about this voice... It wasn't normal.

"Dad?" Usagi called out, looking around warily.

"Usagi... You..." The little girl turned around.

"You killed me..."

It was that scene all over again. Itsuki Uchiha’s death. The only difference is, it wasn't Itsuki who was dead, it was Kakashi.

Tears fell from the young girls eyes.

"You're a curse." She turned around again to see Itsuki looking down on her.

"You killed me, him, and my clan." He stared at the girl with cold eyes. "I never wanted you. Never."

The thoughts clouded Usagi’s mind. "You did it... It was you... You curse... Jinx... I hate you."

---- ---- ---- ----

Usagi woke up in a panic. She was shaking and crying. It was just a nightmare... Right?

Moving quickly, Usagi ran into her dad’s bedroom.

He was reading in his bed. "Usagi? Are you--"

Usagi hugged her dad, crying into his shoulder. "I…” She sniffed. “Nightmare..."

"It's alright..." Kakashi consoled the girl. Usagi wasn't one to usually have nightmares. The news of the Uchiha massacre must have really shocked her.

"It was just a dream, everything's alright." Kakashi hugged the child.

After she'd calmed down, Usagi fell asleep in Kakashi’s arms.

"A nightmare, huh?" Kakashi whispered, pulling the blankets over the sleeping girl.

Sometimes, he forgot she was still only a child. No matter how mature she was, on the inside, she was still a fragile little girl. One wrong move, and she would break, not to mention, she'd remember it for her whole life.

Kakashi fell asleep not long afterwards. The two were both sleeping soundly, knowing that they had each other to depend on. They were a family after all.

--Next day at the academy--

Sasuke had distanced himself from everyone else. He never has been the most sociable of people, but he was colder than usual.

Usagi sat up the back of the class, stealing the occasional chip from Choji as she read her book.

She was halfway through 'The Bravest Ninja' and was enjoying the book.

"We'll be doing some aim practice today." Iruka spoke, making Usagi close her book.

"Yes!" The class got excited over the fact that they'd be able to use shuriken.

"Now, shuriken are very dangerous, so please be careful." Iruka warned.

"What a drag... A practical lesson." Shikamaru sighed.

As the class made their way to the practice field, Iruka-Sensei was talking about some kind of safety thing... Usagi didn't listen. She'd just improvise when it came down to it.

"First up, Shino Aburame."

After ten minutes of not paying attention, it was Usagi’s turn.

"Next, Usagi Hatake." She stepped forward, grabbing three shuriken.

With one swift movement, the three shuriken hit their targets dead on.

Usagi collected the shuriken and put them back, a small smirk on her face.

"Good job, Usagi. Next, Sasuke Uchiha."

Walking to the back of the line, Usagi received a glare from Sasuke.

... Alright.

Anyway, everything was normal until it was the one and only Naruto’s turn.

"Alright!" Naruto cheered. "I'm gonna hit every single target! Believe it!"

One throw later, Iruka almost had his head chopped off.

"... Naruto..." Anger rose in Iruka-Sensei's voice.

Usagi held in a laugh as Naruto got scolded. The stunts that Naruto would pull made her laugh.

"Whatever Sensei. I’ll get it this time!" Naruto threw another shuriken.

... It completely missed.

"Oh come on!" Naruto complained.

Usagi let out a small laugh. The whole class turned around to face her.

"... She laughed..." A girl said, a look of shock plastered to her face.

It was at that point the whole class was freaking out. "She has a voice!"

Usagi stood awkwardly, unsure of what to do now.

Iruka-Sensei saved Usagi by bringing the class back to training. "Alright! Next up, Ino Yamanaka."

She was last, so after her turn was done, the class was dismissed for lunch.

A number of people stared at Usagi as she made her way to the usual spot.

Even Choji and Shikamaru were staring at her as she sat down.

~Stare~ Their eyes were burning into Usagi.

[It’s not that big a deal.] Usagi held out her notebook.

"That's the most we've ever heard your voice." Choji said.

[It’s not the first time I've laughed before.]

"In front of the whole class it is." Shikamaru pointed out.

[The class is overreacting.]

"No, they're not."

[Whatever.]

Shikamaru smirked, looking back at the clouds.

Choji ate his chips as he relaxed.

Usagi closed her eyes as she half slept.

Lunchtime was always quiet for the three. Not much talking was ever done, it was never really needed.

Just knowing they had each other’s company was enough.

__________________________________________________________________________________

AN/ Another chapter after just one day?! It’s a miracle! It probably won’t happen a lot though… But it’s nice while it does happen.

Anyway. As always, thanks for reading! (Seriously, thank you! I apreciate it!)

-C