Chapter 40

Usagi 40

>>>>CHAPTER 40<<<<

>>>>Disappear<<<<

Usagi ran, her eyes showing her the blazing chakra of a tailed beast as her legs carried her.

She had managed to fight off enough of the enemy to peep away for a moment. Her clones had spread around, keeping track of everything that was happening around her.

Though concerned about a number of things, her main focus was on a certain demon with one tail.

'Shukaku!' She was screaming, calling out, begging for a response. She knew something was happening, something bad.

'I'll kill them...' It was faint, but she could hear it.

Then it came into sight. A huge, powerful chakra was taking over Gaara's body.

The bloodlust was almost suffocating, practically rendering her powerless. All she could do was watch.

But was it really from the bloodlust? Did she really want to help? Shukaku was someone she would consider a friend, and Gaara was too. They were attacking Sasuke, and with the two of them disagreeing a lot as of late, she found herself tempted to just let Shukaku kill him.

'... I really am a horrible person.' Usagi was guilted by these dark thoughts. He was her teammate. She shouldn't be thinking such things.

Usagi got closer, not scared by the fight going on.

If anything, Shukaku was scared. The second he laid eyes upon the redheaded girl, he felt guilty. He had swung to attack Sasuke, and Usagi had gotten caught in the attack.

Sasuke's body slammed into a nearby tree, though as he fell he managed to land on a branch, though he couldn't move much.

Usagi was also thrown back at the impact, Shukaku, or Gaara's hand having hit her. She was tossed around like a rag doll, her light body slamming into trees before finally hitting the ground. Her clones that she had all disappeared as she found it difficult to maintain her chakra. Her head was spinning as she tried to stand up.

She looked to where Gaara was, seeing him inch closer and closer to Sasuke.

By the time Usagi had regained her balance, someone else had already jumped in.

'Naruto!' Usagi gasped as the blonde genin kicked Gaara. Sakura showed up soon after, immediately dashing to Sasuke to make sure he was alright.

The curse mark was spreading over his skin again, the markings crawling across his face. He collapsed in pain as blood spilled from his mouth.

Usagi couldn't just do nothing, no matter how tempting it was.

She jumped up to the branch where he lay, activating the Preta path.

The Preta path allows the user to absorb chakra. Not only could Usagi absorb ninjutsu attacks, but she could take chakra from a person at the slightest touch.

Because Sasuke's chakra was causing him pain, she'd simply just take it from him.

Usagi pressed her hands against the curse mark on Sasuke's neck. She wasn't sure it would work, but as she focused on absorbing his chakra, she noticed the marks beginning to recede.

After a minute, he fell completely unconscious, his curse mark returning to its original state.

Usagi had been so caught up in absorbing Sasuke's chakra that she hadn't even noticed what was happening around her.

Sakura was pinned against a tree, Naruto was charging at Shukaku.

Usagi's vision blurred as she watched on. She needed to help, to stop Shukaku from hurting her team.

But as she stood up to help, a voice whispered in her ear.

"I've been looking for you, Usagi."

And then everything turned black.

-- -- -- --

Kakashi ran his hands through his silver hair as he looked around.

"She can't be gone..."

Surrounding shinobi watched as Kakashi muttered to himself. They couldn't even begin to comprehend how he was feeling. His daughter had gone missing, and nobody knew what happened.

"..." One of the shinobi, an ANBU member who had been helping them search spoke up. "Maybe we should start looking for a body."

That was the wrong thing to say.

Kakashi turned to the ANBU, grabbing the collar of his vest. "Usagi is not dead." He growled, his voice low and eyes deadly. There was no way Usagi, his little girl, could be dead. She was strong, able to protect herself... Something must have happened. Something had to have happened.

But what could have happened? For Usagi to just leave unannounced... she would have surely left a note of some sort for Kakashi if she had chosen to leave. If she was dead, they would have found a body. If she had been taken, she would have fought back.

But there was no trace of any of those things. There was no trace of her at all.

Usagi Hatake was gone. It was as simple as that, yet it was so complicated.

Kakashi couldn't cope. His daughter was gone, his students were injured, his friends and comrades had died... the Hokage had died...

Everything had turned to shit.

But life kept on going.

Every day was a struggle. Kakashi would wake up, hoping that Usagi would be there to greet him.

But she was never there.

And there was nothing he could do about it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

AN/ Short chapter this week (only like 800 words oopsies, but next week's chapter makes up for it. Next week, one of the main elements for the shippuden storyline is revealed!

By the way, is guilted a word? I swear it is. If it's not... then it is now.

*Begin rambling*

This story has over 10k reads, ahhh thank you all!!

I was reading over some of the early chapters, mainly for reference in the one's I'm writing now, and wow... Uh they're pretty bad. Haha... really bad, actually. I don't know how I've gotten so many reads with such poor writing... I'm not complaining though! XD

So, only 3 more chapters to go. Ch44 marks shippuden, and the jump between chapter 43and 44 is huge. It'll probably be confusing at first but bear with me ok? These next few chapter focus on introducing a whole bunch of things or whatever. I dunno.

QUESTION: Who do you think took Usagi? I could think of a hundred different people...

Anyway, thanks for reading! Onwards to the beginning of the (even more) depressing era!

-C