Short, Simple, and Sweet

I woke up the next morning to an empty bed. Of course, I’ve grown used to it by now but seeing as Austin fell asleep holding me last night, I found it a little strange.

          The clock read that it was just after ten which is probably the latest I’ve slept in a while. I can’t seem to get a good night’s sleep since Mason keeps me up all night with his kicking and my stomach acting up. But last night was an exception.

          I let out a huge yawn and stretched, relaxing my muscles. I felt completely refreshed today. Hopefully, today will be good. I rubbed my eyes and let out another huge yawn when my door slowly creaked open. My eyes were slightly blurry from me rubbing them but as soon as they cleared, Austin was standing right in my doorway, leaning against the doorframe. He was wearing his t-shirt and basketball shorts from last night. His hair was as wavy as ever and his smile gave off a genuinely happy vibe.

          “Morning, Princess.” He smiled.

          “Good morning.” I smiled back.

          He walked in and sat down at the edge of my bed. “How’d you sleep last night?”

          “That was probably the best sleep I’ve gotten in a while.” I answered honestly.

          His cheeks grew slightly pink. “I’m glad.”

          “So uh,” he started, “I was thinking maybe I could take you out to breakfast this morning. If you want to, of course.” He said quickly.

          I was about to say that it wasn’t necessary and that I didn’t want to interfere with his plans for today but my stomach decided to rumble, letting out a sound that imitated a dying whale. Austin chuckled.

          “I think Mason is hungry.”

          I laughed, “When isn’t he hungry?”

          “I think that’s something he gets from me.” he thumped his chest proudly.

          I laughed again, “Probably so.”

          “So do you want to get ready and then come back to my place so I can change or….” He trailed off.

          I thought for a minute. Going back to his place would bring a lot of memories back to me that I wasn’t sure if I was ready to handle. Both the good and the bad memories. From the day I moved in, to the time I found out him and Taylor kissed, to our first time, to the day I walked out. Was I ready for that? To be honest I wasn’t sure but it may be easier to find out sooner rather than later.

          “I guess that’ll work.” I said slowly.

          “Are you sure?”

          “Positive.”

          He smiled and helped me off the bed. I nodded my thanks and headed into the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. I shrugged out of my t-shirt and oversized shorts followed by my matching undergarments. I turned the water on, letting it heat up to the right temperature and stepping in. I stood there a moment, letting the hot water relax my muscles and awaken my senses. I did my daily shower routine as quickly as I could. Being pregnant makes it so difficult to shave.

          I stepped out, instantly being greeted by a blast of cold air and steam from the shower. I shivered and grabbed a towel off the rack, drying myself off. It was then I realized that I would have to walk into my room with a towel around me to change and Austin was still probably in there. My eyes wandered over to the back of the door, seeing my robe lying on the hook waiting for me. I thanked God and slipped into it, wrapping my hair in the towel afterwards.