Chapter 17 - Moments of Weakness

Start from the beginning

At the mention of the second missing person everyone heard a low growl coming from Rebekah. She tried to use her speed to attack Damon, but was stopped surprisingly by her older brother, Klaus.

"Get out of my way, Nik!" Rebekah wasn't even looking at Klaus; she was focused on the vampire behind him.

"As much as it pains me to say this dear sister, I won't allow you to kill the Salvatore." Klaus said calmly, he had his arms crossed over his chest and glared at his sister, waiting for some kind of response.

"Come on 'Bekah, do it! Don't let Nik get in the way!" Shouted Kol from across the room.

Elena stopped watching the two siblings fighting about Damon and focused on the one against the wall.

"Stop it Kol! Bonnie wouldn't want this. She would want us to think of a plan to kill Mikael, not kill someone who could help us, even if it is Damon. I know you love Bonnie and I promise we will get her back, but we need you to focus on Mikael, not Damon." Elena spoke firmly, she kept eye contact at all times and when she spoke about his feelings his anger slowly simmered down.

"How did...I never...I haven't even told Bonnie." Kol was confused, he had only just admitted his feelings for the young witch not long ago, and yet this woman who shared a face with two others knew it before he did.

"I know you Kol, you're my best friend. It's written all over your face. You will get to tell her and I'm sure she already knows anyway" Elena gave him a small smile, the mischievous brother she knew as a human was returning.

Kol only nodded and sighed; Elena gently let the invisible binds go and watched as Kol enveloped her in a hug. He was missing Bonnie and worried for her, being a vampire only made the response worse, especially when your feelings were amplified.

All the attention turned to Rebekah, who was about ready to pounce on Damon. "Don't make me dagger you Bekah! He isn't worth it, 'Lena is right we need to focus on Mikael" Klaus said angrily at mentioning his step-fathers name.

"Why Stefan? Why couldn't it be you Damon?" Rebekah threw her arms in the air, she looked to the ceiling and tears fell to the ground. Why couldn't she for once have the person she loved, she thought.

"Rebekah, you know Stefan wouldn't want this. Stefan would never forgive you if you hurt Damon." Caroline's voice suddenly filled the foyer; her words had caught the blonde's attention.

The brave and strong act faltered and her anger dissipated as she fell to her knees, sobbing with her head in her hands. Klaus crouched down to his sister and hugged her. Stefan's safety wasn't a sure thing, Mikael was unpredictable and who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Accepting her brother's embrace, Rebekah remained sobbing against his chest, as she was soon moved to a more comfortable location. She worried for Stefan and would do anything she could to get him back. After years of being apart and Stefan falling in love with Elena, they had finally been reunited only to be separated again.

When the time came, she wouldn't hesitate to kill the people to blame for her state of upset. Mikael and Esther would pay for trying to take away her family and lover.

After everyone had settled down Avalyn decided to talk to her parents, everything had been so distracting. Since she had reunited with her family Avalyn hasn't been able to spend a moment with them properly. Either they were out patrolling or dealing with problems.

Avalyn walked to the study, she knew her mother and father had retreated to this particular room, it was the room furthest away and it provided a sense of peace.

Her hand lifted to knock at the door but wasn't surprised when a voice called her in. "You may enter, Sweetheart" came her father's voice, he always spoke so gently to her.