Chapter 5 - The Return

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Vampire Diaries, they belong to the writers of the show.

Bonnie was given the warning that her best friend would be returning. She hadn't told anyone of the expected arrival, she packed a bag full of clothes and food for herself and Elena. She didn't know how long it would take and only hoped that she had enough for when Elena did return. After arriving at the old witches house early in the morning, she sat around and paced the room, playing games on her phone and other times looking at the grimoire given by Kol.

It had been a good few hours when the candles started to flicker a little after noon, so she stood up and stayed away from the circle marked on the floor. She felt a little gust of wind which grew with intensity so much that her hair started to blow in her face. The flames now bright and high caused her to cover her face a little and squint, she slowly saw a shadow and as the flames died down it wasn't a shadow anymore, it was her best friend.

Elena was wearing a long dress with laces and a few plaits in her hair, but Bonnie ignored her appearance and ran straight to her best friend and embraced her in a hug, she had missed her and wanted to finally be able to talk to her.

She felt happy, relieved and just overwhelmed all at once. Elena was back and she appeared the same, her worries that she had kept inside her began to settle. After they broke from the hug she noticed that they both had tears in their eyes, they weren't tears of sadness though, she quickly wiped them away with the back of her hand and went to the bag in the corner of the room.

Elena moved out of the circle and Bonnie gave her some more casual and comfortable clothes, she could see Elena was grateful for this and changed in the corner but only after getting Bonnie to help loosen the laces on her dress. Finally looking like she belonged in this time, Bonnie smiled and let out a little giggle then said "It's good to have you back, Ayana asked me to call for her so she can explain more" she only received a nod.

Even though they wanted to catch up on the happenings of their lives, Bonnie had to call Ayana as promised. She started to chant a few words and white lights appeared before the both of them, the circle Elena had stood in not moments ago now held Bonnies ancestor, Ayana.

"Bonnie, Elena" Ayana nodding and smiling to both, she knew that with Elena's return meant that things had happened as they should.

"There are still a few things that need to be explained, you have been away and returned a different person. You are still yourself but changes nonetheless, because of this I shall use some magic to make you appear as you were" Ayana said.

Bonnie was confused she didn't know what Ayana meant by Elena being different, she had yet to have a proper conversation with Elena but when she looked over to her best friend she saw her nodding back in agreement, although it was reluctantly.

"What do you mean she's different, she seems the same to me. Except for the clothes she came in, and the rings on her fingers..." Realisation hit her once she noticed the rings, she had a ring on her fourth finger.

Her only response was to gasp at this sudden moment of clarity, she took notice of another ring on her hand, it was a simple ring with a Lapis-lazuli gemstone, this was when it all dawned on her, her best friend was now a vampire. She started to feel a little angry that this is what Ayana believed was supposed to happen, but when she looked Elena in the eyes she could see that she was still herself in some way and being a vampire hadn't stopped her from happy and in love.

"Elena went back to when the originals were human, she spent nearly 20 years with them. She is an original herself now, but from what I have observed she is still the same Elena you know." Ayana tried to explain to her distant relative that this was meant to happen.