XXVII.

It's flashback time! *flashback sounds and screen does weird swirl to next scene*

Enjoy!

XOXO

- L

One month earlier

One month earlier

I peeked through the back door and my eyes widened at the sight.

There were five men facing the wall at the end of the alley.

I couldn't see who they were, their backs facing me. They wore black attire, the shadows making them seem more sinister as they were surrounding something on the ground.

I furrowed my brow at the sight. There was hardly ever any crime in this area, let alone had masked military-looking people. Who were these guys, the Men in Black?

The one standing in the middle was speaking in a language I didn't understand. Italian? Spanish? He was the only one dressed differently, wearing a suit.

He kicked something in front of him and it let out a pained gasp. I tried to look through the space between their legs to see, but was unsuccessful. The man continued to talk until he finally spoke in English.

"Everyone in this family pays in blood. A traitor such as yourself will pay with their life."

The man waved his hand and the men fell back against the walls of the alley. I took a good look at their stoic faces before finally seeing what was on the ground. I slapped a hand over my mouth to stop the scream from escaping my mouth.

There was so much blood.

A man laid there, severely beaten, bruises and blood coating his face and body. He was wearing a torn suit, holding his ribs as he spat on the ground. He struggled to stand up, but his injuries forced him to stay still.

I forced the bile down my throat, not wanting to be seen or given the same treatment. I trembled as I helplessly stared at the victim. My mind went completely blank as I scrambled to find a way to save him. I cursed myself for not having my phone on me, leaving it up front. I wanted to run, to flee the scene and get help, but my traitorous body was immobile.

One of the man's swollen eyes barely opened and looked in my direction. I held my breath. The door was barely open, but his penetrating stare told me that he was aware of my presence.

Scraping together the last bits of my courage, I pushed the door open just a little to let him know I was there. The man faced the man in front of him, not acknowledging me.

"Lorenzo, I don't know what offense I've committed. Your men dragged me here for no reason. It must be a big accusation if you're willing to get your suit dirty," The man rasped and my stomach churned as a trail of blood escaped the side of his mouth.

The man leading the group, who I assumed was Lorenzo, let out a chilling laugh.

"Yes, it so happens you have. I've been assigned to clean up the trash. Now I will ask you one more time, Angelo - this will affect how slow your death will be – who are you working for and where are the files that you stole?"