XIII.

Maria was hyperventilating again

She kept looking back and forth at the box and the positive pregnancy test before her body started to sway. Quickly, I tried my best to support both of us as Maria mumbled directions to her room. I barely managed to open the door as Maria put all her weight on me.

Looking down, my eyes widened as I realized she passed out from shock. Opening the door, I placed her on the made bed before calling for help. Seeing no one in the hallway, I quickly went to find my phone. I mentally cursed as I realized I left it at the table.

I twisted my hair as I paced back and forth, trying to calm myself. There was no time to panic, only time for action. If I had my own panic attack, no one would be able to help Maria and the baby inside her belly.

Shaking my body like a kid with a sugar high, I focused my attention on Maria's unconscious form.

I poked Maria's cheek with my index finger, hoping for some sign of life.

"Maria? Please don't be dead, please don't be dead..." I panicked as I checked her pulse, happy that it was beating, if rapidly. "Not dead!" I cheered.

Spotting Maria's phone, I grabbed it and was relieved that there was no passcode.

I scanned through her contacts and stopped once I saw Damon's name on the list. Without hesitation, I called the number, waiting impatiently as the phone started to ring.

Once Damon answered, all was well until he lectured me about leaving my apartment. I stayed silent on the phone, not wanting him to know how much his words affected me. The stronghold he held over me was taking effect on my emotions. While I could argue that he did tell me to stay home, I couldn't handle being alone again.

"Flower, I know you called for a reason. What's wrong?" Damon broke me out of my cloud of misery that he unknowingly created. Seeing Maria once more, I rapidly started explaining.

"Maria fainted. She found out some...news and it overwhelmed her. I'm really worried and I thought that her husband should know, but I was more comfortable talking to you first," I said vaguely.

It was Maria's news to tell, not mine, and I figured the first person who should know was Xavier.

Damon told me he would be there in twenty minutes and to get some wet towels for Maria. I went to the connecting bathroom and found some small towels in a cabinet. Grabbing a couple, I put them in the sink and soaked them in cold water, squeezing the excess. By the time I exited the bathroom, I saw two people next to Maria. One of them spotted me and waved me over as I rushed over to her side.

"Are you Rosaline?" one of them asked, and I nodded shyly as I pressed the damp towel onto Maria's head. "I'm Marco, one of the head security officers for Maria. How long has she been unconscious?" Marco said as he checked her pulse.

"Only a few minutes. Damon said he was going to send a d-doctor," I stuttered as Maria began to groan. I sighed in relief as her eyelids fluttered.

"Tom, tell the doctor to hurry his ass up and that Maria is awake," Marco ordered. Tom nodded before talking into his headpiece.

"Son of a bitch," Maria groaned as Marco helped her sit up, the towel falling onto her lap. She looked at it in confusion before she looked at the three of us.

"Rosie, what happened?" Maria croaked as she rubbed her eyes. Seeing Tom and Marco focus on me, I gulped as I struggled to come up with an explanation.

"Well, you threw up and I went to check up on you, remember? Then we decided to do something..." I trailed off, pleading that she remembered. Maria's eyes widened and recognition flashed on her face.

"Oh," was Maria's response as she eyed Tom and Marco. "Um, could you guys give us a moment? You can guard the doors outside. I'm sure Xavier is going to barge in with guns firing. Can you send the doctor in as well?" Maria asked politely. I watched in wonder as Tom and Marco looked at each other before nodding their heads.

"The boss is on his way. Call out if you need us." They slowly left and closed the door behind them. Maria gripped my hands in panic.

"Holy crap, I'm pregnant!" Maria said loudly and I winced at the shrillness in her tone. Maria looked at her stomach with mixed emotions of fear and awe. "I'm so glad I didn't drink that wine." She laughed breathily as I looked at her cautiously. Her mood swings were confusing me. Seeing my expression, Maria's expression faltered.

"This is a good thing, right? I've always wanted kids and Xavier and I haven't bothered with protection...the timing is right, right? We're married, we both have jobs, we live in a nice home, it's not crazy to start spouting kids from my vagina." Maria rambled and I flushed as she started to get more detailed.

"Please, no more!" I pleaded as Maria laughed. She was practically jumping up and down holding her stomach. She gave me a hug, swinging us side to side.

"Sorry, it's just I'm so excited! Now that the initial shock is over, I need to tell Xavier! Don't tell anyone yet, please? I think–" Before she could finish, the doors slammed open and banged on the walls. I jumped back in fright into Maria's arms as I saw the security team holding a large man back.

There were five men pulling him away, but they were still struggling. His dark hair was ruffled as his silver eyes caught Maria. He looked absolutely lethal and I had no doubt that this was Maria's husband.

"Let me see my damn wife!" Xavier shouted as Damon walked in and pulled everyone back.

"Let the man see his wife," Damon ordered and the men immediately released him.

I moved away from Maria as Xavier marched right up to Maria and pulled her close to his body. I blushed as Xavier wrapped himself around her.

Feeling like I was intruding, I quietly left the bedroom. Sensing a presence behind me, I turned around and found a large chest greeting me. Gulping, I looked up and found the familiar green eyes glaring at me as he closed the door to give the couple privacy.

"Flower, why is it that every time I tell you to do something, you have to disobey it?" Damon said in frustration but also a hint of amusement.

I shuffled on my feet as my fingers curled into my hair.

"I don't mean to, it just happens," I protested weakly. "But I got bored and Maria invited me over. I'm glad I showed up though, who would've known what would've happened to the little one if I wasn't here," I defended as I recalled Maria almost drinking her wine.

Damon scrunched his forehead.

"What do you mean by 'little one'?" Damon asked thoughtfully. My eyes widened in horror when realization flashed in his eyes.

Shoot!

"Please don't tell! It's supposed to be a secret!" I pleaded as Damon stumbled a bit in shock, but seemed elated by the news. He opened his mouth but I beat him to it. "I'll do whatever you want! As long as you zip it."

That stopped him in his tracks.

"Anything?"

I nodded eagerly. Though Damon didn't seem like the gossipy type, I had to make sure he didn't spoil anything. I didn't want to disappoint Maria as she wanted to spread the happy news.

But what he said next made my heart stop.

"Kiss me."