thirty-six

3 DAYS BEFORE

"Elizabeth!" Mom interrupted my American Horror Story marathon. "Can you come down please?"

"Coming!" I sing-songed, I made my way downstairs and was surprised to see Dr. Johnson sitting on one of the sofas wearing casual clothes -- I always found it weird seeing professional people in clothes. "Oh hey Dr. Johnson, how are you?"

"I'm great," He smiled, shaking my hand. "And yourself?"

"I'm alright," I said weakly. "My head hurts a little."

"Elizabeth," Mom sighed. "We need to talk to you. You might not take this the right way and we understand if-"

"What's wrong now?" I asked, cutting her off.

"We don't know how to say this to you," Dr. Johnson began, his eyes looking sad, "But you have to leave for Germany."

It felt as if everything in my wake stopped.

"You might be mad but you know all those meetings I've been to?" Mom asked and I nodded. "It was actually meetings to discuss about Germany. I need you to hear me out before you yell or scream or whatever."

"Surgery is often necessary to remove or debulk a tumor. Brain tumors are difficult to remove, because the tumors invade surrounding brain tissues the way the roots of a plant spread through the soil," Dr. Johnson began. "We've talked it over with the German Brain Tumor Association and they were more than willing to bring you in to get you treated, thanks to your dad."

I squeezed my mom's hand tight, her hand looked it was going to burst from my grip and my breath started becoming heavy. "D-dad?" I squeaked.

"Please don't start yelling and let me explain," Mom pleaded. "Your dad wouldn't leave us alone after that hospital incident a few weeks ago, I tried to make him go away but he wouldn't. He was actually on holiday with his son and he lives in Germany, we won't be living with him no so you don't have to worry about that. Apparently, your dad is pretty important in Germany and when he requested for you to be treated, they agreed right away without hesitation, I've been going back and forth with reports and work files to and from Germany and they know everything about your condition so when you reach, they will get started immediately. I know it's not a brain cancer or anything but it could've been if we don't treat it as soon as possible."

"I don't know how you're going to react to this but this is for the best, I promise you. You can scream, hate me all you want or even curse me out but please do this. We need you for a very long time, please give us a chance, your dad a chance. Please, Elizabeth. I'm begging you." The look in her eyes were pure sadness and guilt and I couldn't help but want to well up and cry.

"When do we leave?" Was the first thing I asked, I couldn't say no. They went through all this trouble just so I could get better. I couldn't say no. Mom's face lit up a bit and she squeezed my knee in reassurance.

"In two weeks." I gasped at how much time I didn't have left when I thought life was just starting to get good. "Melanie's actually already there, that's why you haven't seen her around. She just got to Germany a few days ago."