A mistake, an accident or a repeat?

Oh, lovelies. You have no idea.

(follows chapter 7, basically)

Chapter 10

Since it's the first week-end, we're not allowed to go to the city (too soon, they won't let us). The gates are closed, and it's the only way out with a car. Also, it's too soon to ruin your own reputation (in the teachers' eyes, but it is okay to do it in our peers' eyes), so that's why we've included Lorcan into our plan, or, to rephrase it, we've built our plan around Lorcan.

Jocelyn needs her cigarettes, I know that. It's what keeps her together.

Lorcan finishes his joint and smirks as we approach.

"Well, well, who do I see," he says, his hands in his leather jacket's pockets. "How can I help, dears?"

"Cherry tobacco," Anton says wryly, and I glance at him. I admit, he looks totally calm and down to business, while I, on the other hand, am a nervous mess, even though I'm doing an okay job on hiding it. Lorcan isn't exactly the guy you want to know, or talk to. And you definitely don't want to be a name on his hit-list, because he knows his way around everything.

"Oh, I didn't know you preferred being a girl when you smoked," he mocks, but Anton keep his cool. Lorcan seems a bit irritated that he failed to agitate him. "Fine, I could get you this tonight."

"This late, still?" I ask, surprised, and understand right away what a mistake I've done. It's bad enough to stay silent while Anton deals with Lorcan, but it is worse to doubt Lorcan's abilities, who, by the way, could get me kicked out of this school, leaving a nasty mark on my reputation, because god knows, everybody knows, that Lorcan can come up with a good story for anyone he doesn't like.

He raises his eyebrow, and I look down. I'll let Anton handle this.

"Awesome. So let us know," Anton says and nods his head indicating 'goodbye'. Lorcan's wide grin makes me uncomfortable, and I jog away to catch up with Anton. I don't want to spend another millisecond in Lorcan's presence; he freaks me out.

"I don't get you," I sigh, glancing sideways at Anton, my gorgeous mysterious friend, who look to cool about what just went down; because I know how caring and sweet he can be, so this cold attitude doesn't make sense.

"Get what?" he asks, and I'm struggling a little to keep up with him.

"One minute, you're totally dorky and awkward, the next you're the bad guy with a straight face, and," I start, but see him wince when I say 'straight face'. I decide not to push it further. "Just, you're hard for me to read. Complicated."

He shakes his head. "Believe me, I don't even get me," he says and gently puts his hand on my back. "Let's go inside. I know he's watching."

I hadn't felt anyone's stare on us. I thought we were alone. I understand why Anton was still tense, when we were walking, and why he winced at my words; it was because he was afraid Lorcan heard us.

When we got back to the dormitory, Anton glanced out the window of the corridor, because most probably, Lorcan would be staring right at ours. "You see?" Anton whispers and I nod beside him. "He doesn't believe us."

I bite my lip and look at my friend. "I thought you were bad with plans," I say quietly, even though Lorcan won't here, but just to be sure.

"And you were right," he replies, looking back at me. "But I am good with people." He smiles, and I shift my eyes back to Lorcan, who is gone.

"What now?" I say and nod towards the window. "Our criminal has disappeared."

Anton shrugs. "We could follow him."