xxiii. soccer game

It's the day of the first soccer game Can will be playing for a different team.

Although Can is worried he can't play as good as he was before, from having to stop for months, he's more than excited to get back at the field and feel the familiar hardness of the soccer ball and the soft touch of the grass beneath his feet.

But in the midst of all the excitement in him, Can is clearly on edge. Yesterday, he learned from Techno that they'll be playing against the team of his former school, his former team, which meant he'll be seeing his former schoolmates again who knows his past and one of those who spread those nasty rumors.

Since they had bullied Can, they are also possible to spread the same fake rumors at his new school and that's what Can's more worrying about. Can wants a fresh start, he doesn't want to be reminded of the fact that he was once involved with a teacher, that will certainly tarnish his image once again.

And oh gods... Vin... What if that guy is here?

Can looks at the school gate for the umpteenth time that day, trying to look for the visitors' arrival, and every time each second ticks, Can feels his heart leaping against his chest.

Any minute now.

Can's anxiousness is clear to everyone around him but they all thought it's because of the upcoming game, only one person knows that it's not the matter. Tin.

Can nibbling his lips did not escape from the sharp eyes of Tin who has been observing Can from afar. Before Can chews his whole bottom lip, Tin decides to put a stop to his worries.

Tin walks over to the bench where the athletes are and sits beside Can but Can still has not noticed him, still drowning in his own thoughts so Tin takes a hold of his elbow and turns to face him.

"Hey. Are you okay?" Tin whispers, his voice is so soft even he himself is shocked to know he's capable to produce such tone.

Can unknowingly breathes a sigh of relief seeing Tin in front of him. Tin's presence brings a feeling of comfort to him.

"Yea- no- I just... probably nervous with the game. It's been months since I played and I don't think-"

Can is cut off when Tin squeezes his arm. "Ae told me you'll be playing against your former school, are you worried about them?"

Can slowly nods and the fake calmness he wears guarding what he truly feels, vanishes. "Tin, those people, they were my bullies, I can't help but overthink- what if they spread those rumors here? I don't want the same thing happening to me again. I don't want to move to another school again."

Tin will be damned if he let that happen too.

Tin grabs both of Can's shoulders and caresses them trying to ease the tension Can is feeling. "Hey, hey don't worry, they are in my territory, I'll make sure that they can't do anything bad to you."

Can gives Tin a grateful shaky smile, ignoring how his heart thunders against his chest, but in an obviously different reason. "Thank you, Tin."

Since Can has felt that unwelcome feeling of jealousy, which until now he's denying that it isn't jealousy but just a sad feeling of being ignored, they have been closer to each other- messaging each other at days and nights, hanging out on weekends, Tin smiling and laughing with Can, Can being comfortable with Tin each day passes - they are close to being best friends. Tin has literally ignored his group of friends just to be with Can instead much to Tin's friends' delight. Finally, the great Tin has someone.

"Are you worried about-" Tin's question hangs back from his lips but they both know who is he trying to ask.

Vin.