Right Place... Wrong Time

Flashback

Narrator's POV

No matter what age Dally is, he never gets along with kids. Not even with his own kids.

In a pinch, Bri and Soda had to get Dally to babysit two-year-old Goldie in 2022. He was obviously not the first choice, but he was certainly better than a stranger... probably.

Soda had more hope for him than Bri did.

Dally, under great confidence, took Goldie shopping with him. They went to a gigantic store that usually sells in bulk, called Bargain Barn.

Not knowing that children are not like loyal golden retrievers, Dally didn't pay much attention as Goldie wondered around, wide eyed at everything new around him.

As Dally was picking out the toilet paper, he realized that the kid he was babysitting has been missing for the past few isles.

The only motivation to find him stemmed from his parents being two of his best friends. After a groan and a little kick to himself, he went on the longest five minute search of his life.

He eventually made his way to a store clerk, still not able to find Goldie.

"Hey, man, I— um, I lost this kid I was babysitting. Could I make an announcement?"

The store clerk looked concerned and handed Dally the microphone, "of course."

Dally cleared his throat, leaned into the microphone and said, "goodbye, you little shit."

End flashback

Goldie's POV
April 14, 1965

After my shift, Candy and I agreed that I would pick her up from babysitting before we got back to the Curtis house.

I felt like a parent leaving their kid alone for the first time. I was nervous, and half expecting the house to be on fire when we got back. I was afraid that he would get confused and accidentally break something, so he needed a babysitter. Hell, I feel like I need a babysitter. None of the past few weeks have been duck soup. I still hoped all this was some sort of elaborate gas.

Anyways, my first shift back was entertaining. Dad and Steve showed me again how to do everything. From restocking shelves, to checking people out at the register. I got the hang of it pretty quickly. When the store was empty, the three of us would just hang around and talk about cars, girls, and everything in between.

Girls kept coming in and giving eyes to my old man, which was agonizing to witness. I didn't get super poked up, I would have if they knew I was his son though. Girls did ask if I was his brother, because we look so much alike. I took those as compliments. Dad has always been handsome, and now I know it's true when he told me he was dodging girls left and right in his youth.

My shift ended at seven, Steve and Soda were supposed to be there until they closed, but I don't know when that is. I did find out what my hours were, which was nice. I feel a lot better knowing I can actually afford to live myself now. I don't need to keep digging mustard off of Uncle Darry.

Candy and I walked inside the house to see Dally and Red sitting at the dining table. A toothpick was sticking out of Red's mouth, while a cigarette was sticking out of Dally's. There were a stack of cards between them, and colorful poker chips. He was teaching him how to play poker.