What Happened During The Week The Kids Were In The Church?

Goldie's POV

Nothing in particular woke me up today. No birds were chirping outside, there was no smell of breakfast being made, and no grunts and yells from wrestling occurring in the living room. I just knew it was early.

I sat up and my back ached from sleeping on the floor. I cracked it, and looked up to see my siblings still sound asleep. I rubbed my eyes and stood up slowly, now considering that I probably woke from my sore back.

I groggily stumbled down the hallway and found Darry anxiously pacing the living room, Dad was sitting on the couch with his head in his hands, with Grandpa Two sitting next to him. They had a stamp of worry on their faces.

I cleared my throat which caused everyone's head to snap towards me, and even caused Uncle Darry to stop pacing. His eyes were red and dark circles that told me that he didn't sleep at all last night.

"What's going on?" I asked, trying to read the room but I was given no context clues.

"The kids are gone," Two answered.

"I'm sorry, gone?" I asked. What does that mean? "Where's M— um, where's Bri?"

"After you went to sleep last night..." I could see the dried tears that Dad didn't wipe off his red face. "Pony ran off... and um... Bri went with him, and they ain't been back since. We ain't even seen Johnny."

"We've called over at every place they could be," Darry said, chewing his pinky nail. "Ain't no one's seen any of 'em."

"Oh my god," I muttered. "We-we-we gotta call the cops."

"Can't." Darry shook his head.

"Why not?" I asked angrily.

"If the cops find out Ponyboy is missing, they'd throw me and him in a boys' home," Dad explained with a soft voice. "They can't know."

"That certainly makes it harder," I said. "They'll turn up. I'm sure of it."

"A Soc was found murdered at that park a few streets away. Deader than a doornail," Two told me.

"Murdered? Don't sell me a dog."

"Can we go five minutes without your weird words?" Two asked exasperatedly. He rubbed his red eyes, I could tell that he was extremely hungover.

"I can't help but think they got tangled with the guy that did it," Darry said nervously.

"Glory, I hope they're okay," Dad said and his dipped his head down.

"Have you heard from Dally?" Darry asked. "Bri said that he walked her home, maybe he bumped into them on the way back."

"I ain't heard from him," Two spoke up.

"I haven't either," I said. Not like I could, I just woke up.

"God dammit," Darry spat. He stressfully looked at his watch and rubbed his clammy palms down his jeans. He said, "I gotta... I gotta get to work."

"Go, Dar. I'll be home all day, I'll keep watch of the phone and the door," Dad offered. "I'll call you if I hear anything."

"Okay," Darry agreed. "Just... don't nobody move." He hesitated before rushing into his room.

"I don't think I've ever seen Darry look so freaked. He's wound tighter than a clock," I observed.

"Neither have I," Dad said with a small voice. "He's just worried. Hell, we all are. After what happened to Mom and Dad... we can't lose them too."

"I'm sure they'll be fine. They have to be," Two stated. Two is a very positive and outgoing person. No matter the situation, he is always optimistic and that is something that I greatly respect.