The Night Before Choosing Day

Tomorrow is my choosing day. I have to pick which faction I will move to. I have already decide that I am not staying in Abnegation after how Marcus has treated us. By 'Us' I mean me and Tobias. We are twins. I kind of hope that he is also brave enough to defy our father, Marcus, and transfer to a different faction. I am not allowed to watch as he picks his faction, and have to wait outside while he does.

This is because, as we are twins, we are closer and more likely to copy each other. That means we are more likely to end up with one of us ending up in a faction that is not right for us, and therefore, one of us dying or becoming factionless, having failed initiation.

Apparently that is happening too often lately, which is why they are going to extreme lengths to stop us from knowing what the other picks before we pick ourselves. I am not even allowed to see Tobi(Tobias) tonight, and haven't been allowed to since our aptitude tests this morning. I hope he is ok, and hope that Marcus isn't beating him...

I am staying with Natalie and Andrew Prior tonight, and they were happy to take me in, 1- because they are Marcus' friends, and 2- they are Abnegation and are obligated to help.
Also, when their children, Beatrice and Caleb,(who are two years younger that myself and Tobi) started school, I would look out for them. They are pretty cool to talk to.

We Abnegation children do as much 'play' as talk. 'Playing' goes against what's expected of us, so the most we can do to 'play' is to laugh quietly and to smile lightly. Another reason why I want to transfer faction.

I am thinking of picking Dauntless tomorrow. I have the choice of : Amity, Dauntless, Candor, Erudite or... if I really want.... Abnegation.

Amity: Peace
Dauntless: Cowardless and Brave
Candor: Honest
Erudite: Clever and Curious
and,
Abnegation: Selfless and thoughtful.

Dauntless will teach me everything I want; to be brave; to stand and fight instead of running and cowering; and to be selfless.

Tobi will be hidden by his chosen faction (that of which I hope is  new) so even then I won't be able to tell what faction he chose, so it cannot influence what I pick. I am so nervous.

I hope we end up in the same faction, but if the faction I close isn't right for him then I don't want him to have picked it and risk becoming factionless or even dying.

I wonder what they would do if, after all their extreme precautions, we end up in the same faction.

Tomorrow will be weird. Those of us who are choosing their factions tomorrow, will become thought of as young adults, especially after initiation.

It's getting late. Beatrice and Caleb have gone to bed, and I am currently curled up on the mattresse on the the floor in Beatrice's room, that the Priors put down for me to sleep on.

Th only light in the room comes from the small lit candle beside me. Beatrice(or Tris as I sometimes call her) is laid in bed watching me intently.

About ten minutes ago, she asked me why I have to stay away from my brother before my choosing day. As I explained it to her, she seemed worried that it would happen to her and Caleb. (They are not twins but were born in the same year so have the same choosing day.) It was only after I assured her that it is only because Tobi and I are twins, that Tris settled down. She is growing up so fast. In two years it will be her choosing day; I wonder what faction she will choose...

Tris just called my name tentatively across the room. Well... She calls me Tia, instead of my full name, Tiana. Well actually it is Tiana Eaton, but Eaton reminds me that I am related to Marcus. Tiana isn't a typical Abnegation name, but then again, my mother, Evelyn, was not a typical Abnegation woman. She picked my name, while Marcus chose Tobi's. Evelyn died in childbirth, ten years ago. Tobi and I were six.

Beatrice is asleep now. When she called my name, she was checking that I am ok, before bidding me 'Goodnight'.

I should be asleep as well; even Natalie and Andrew have gone to bed now, and my watch says that it is nearly one o'clock in the morning.
Later on today, I make my final decision of.... Dauntless.... I have made up my mind. I will choose Dauntless!

Goodnight.