Chapter Forty-Three

Start from the beginning

“I’m talking to the witch every chance I get to see if she can reattach your finger, and I’m sure she’ll do it,” Damaris said, and rubbed my back. A new bandage had been wrapped around my hand again, but the blood was already beginning to swell up again. The bleeding seemed like it would never stop.

Without much thinking, I used my shin and shoved him as hard as possible. He fell off the bed with a grunt, and I curled further away from him as he could to his feet. I was afraid of him because I knew that he would hurt me.

“Why did you do that?” He growled. “Don’t be pissed off at me, Layla. Blame the bastard that put a ring on your finger that can only be removed by your heart not beating. It was the only way,” He sternly said.

I glared at him through the tears that were running down my face. “H-He didn’t c-cut off my f-finger,” I hissed through my teeth, and through the sobs that were still escaping. “And it wasn’t the only way to do it! You were just trying to show how big and tough you are to Marcus.”

Damaris sighed in frustration, and ran his fingers through his hair. “I was not,” He retorted, and wrinkled his nose. “I knew that the witch,-“

I cut him off by sitting up. “Her name is Emma,” I said lowly, and the fingers of my right hand wrapped around my left hand, my now four fingered hand. “And you didn’t know anything. Harry wouldn’t have been able to track me with it. It just pulsed with my heart beat, nothing else.”

He rolled his eyes. “You’re so naïve, Layla.”

“I am so fucking tired of hearing that!” I shouted at him, and got up on my knees. “I’m so fucking tired of everyone belittling me just because I’m human. I like being human, and I don’t plan on ever changing.”

“You’re going to be changing into a vampire whether you fucking like it or not!” Damaris snapped at me, and grabbed my left wrist roughly, causing me to scream out in pain. “You think losing one little finger hurts? Wait until you’re changing, and every bad thing you’ve ever done in your life flashes in front of you, and every painful, sad, or angry emotion you’ve ever felt is forced upon you again, but this time all at once. You have no idea what pain is like.”

I gritted my teeth, and tears ran down my cheeks again, before I let out a sob. “What happened to you, Damaris? What happened to the man I used to love, the one that protected me, and only wanted me to be happy?” I whispered.

He exhaled, and closed his eyes. Somehow I could see the red of his irises glowing beneath his eyelids. “I lost that part of me the moment you walked into that auction building, and away from me, Layla. I don’t think I’ll ever be the same, and I don’t think I can ever be without you.”

“You’re going to kill me,” I told him, and wrapped my right hand around his wrist. “Whether you totally kill me, or parts of me, I won’t be the same either. I don’t want to be here, not when you’re like this.”

“You wouldn’t want to be here even if I was the same guy I used to be,” He bitterly spoke. “You’d want to be with Lord Harry Styles, the vampire that literally controls everyone and everything in the world. He has the lives of it all in the palm of his hand, and he can crush it before your eyes.”

“Do you know why I’d want to be with him?” I asked him, and sniffled. “Because he wouldn’t force me to change, or force me to do anything but watch my mouth since it could get me into trouble one day.”

Damaris slowly looked down at my left hand, and a small tear ran down his face, then he gently pressed a soft kiss to the bandage, being careful not to touch the bloodied area, so that he wouldn’t get sick. “I do love you, even when I don’t show it very well. Things are too complicated right now.”