:A Proscriptive Relationship: 47-2

Start from the beginning

"I'll come with you," my mom told Jeremy, smiling at him. "I have to use the bathroom anyway, so if you don't mind waiting..."

A flicker of disappointment passed on Jeremy's face but he quickly regained his cheerful look and nodded at my mom. "I don't mind at all! Let's go."

"We'll be right back," my mom said to Mr. Heywood and myself, pushing herself off her chair.

Mr. Heywood raised a hand. "Take your time."

My mom smiled at him before gesturing for Jeremy to follow her out of our room and into the hall. Jeremy threw me a sheepish look before disappearing completely. I didn't have time to return it with my panicked one. Now nervous, I began to drum my fingers on the table to distract myself. Something told me Mr. Heywood was staring at me, but I did my best to ignore him.

However I couldn't ignore him when I suddenly felt his hand over mine.

"That drumming is irritating," he told me, closing his hand on mine so that I couldn't tap anymore.

"Sorry," I murmured, trying to pull my hand away from his. He didn't let go.

"Look at me, Holly."

I kept my head straightforward, doing my best to ignore how much I did want to look at him. After a moment I heard him sigh in irritation and he let go of my hand.

"Fine. Do what you want."

Now I felt guilty. I finally turned to look at him and caught him frowning at me. His smoldering, grey eyes pierced into mine and for a second I forgot how to breathe. Were his eyes always this beautiful? Or was it because I had been refusing to look into them all this time and had forgotten?

"Tell me, Holly," Mr. Heywood started quietly, his eyes narrowing slightly. "Was the whole reason of inviting me here to make me witness you and Jeremy's flirting all night?"

I shook my head immediately. "No. It was a thank you-"

"A card would have worked just as well. Or some baked goods," Mr. Heywood snapped. "Tell me what I did."

I looked at him in surprised. "What?"

"Tell me what I did to make you upset with me, and I'll apologize," Mr. Heywood insisted, his expression turning imploring.

"You didn't do anything!"

"Then why are you...?" Mr. Heywood trailed off, looking irritated.

"Why am I what?" I responded, raising an eyebrow. "I didn't realize I was doing anything to annoy you."

Mr. Heywood sighed, running a hand through his untidy hair. "Never mind. You're not doing anything."

Now I was really confused. "Then why...?" Oh. A small smirk spread onto my lips as I realized what was making him irritated. So Jeremy's plan was working?

Mr. Heywood caught my expression and he looked at me warily. "What are you thinking?"

"Oh, nothing. Just... 'If you're jealous, just say it'," I quoted him, my smirk growing a little wider.

Mr. Heywood didn't look the least bit fazed by my comment. In fact, he looked amused. My smirk slowly faded and was replaced by a frown. I had expected at least some sort of reaction from him. Some denial, or something. Mr. Heywood then smirked at my reaction.

"Why do you look so disappointed?" he asked.

"I'm not," I lied.

"You can't lie to me."

"I'm not," I stated stubbornly.

Mr. Heywood laughed. "I can honestly say I'm not jealous of Jeremy right now."