A Proscriptive Relationship: o8

“That’s intense,” Lance commented, sitting on my computer chair, tapping a pen against his shoe mindlessly.

            “You and Mr. Heywood meeting is like, fate, Holly!” Casey cried, staring at me with wide eyes. “You, the daughter of the man his parents killed. It’s like a romance! He’ll feel like he has to take care of you because he’s a man while you’re but a young lady. A romance will bud!”

            “You’re thinking into this way to much, Casey,” I responded, grinning at her crazy idea. “But it is a coincidence.”

            “I’ll say,” Casey said, nearly shaking with excitement.

            “Why exactly were you alone in his car with him again?” Lance asked, frowning at me.

            I sighed. “It’s not what you think, Lance. He was just bringing me home because I helped him after school as my punishment for being late.”

            “But it was the second day of school! Why should you be punished for being late?”

            “Calm down, Lance,” Casey responded before I could. “This is a good thing for Holly. He’s an attractive, experienced, young man, and she’s a cute, young, lady who is still a virgin. He could help her.”

            “Casey!” I cried, my face growing red.

            “You—” Lance growled, scowling at her.

            Casey laughed. “Chill guys, I was just joking.”

            I sighed, but couldn’t help a smile from slipping onto my lips. I shook my head and chuckled. Casey grinned at me shamelessly.

            “I still don’t think it’s fair he is punishing you,” Lance stated stubbornly, crossing his arms.

            I shrugged. It wasn’t like I minded helping Mr. Heywood after school at all. Honestly, I actually enjoyed it. It was better than being alone at home and bored. Though, Mr. Heywood had told me not to tell anyone I stayed after with him. I figured he didn’t want the other girls getting in trouble just so they could stay after with him. A wry smiled made its way on to my face. I couldn’t blame him for not wanting that.

“I just don’t like how you have to help that guy every day after school,” Lance stated, still looking irritated. “He’s using you.”

“Are you jealous?” Casey teased.

“No,” Lance snapped, “but what if Holly wants to hang out with friends?”

“I’m sure he’d let me hang out with friends,” I told Lance. But honestly I wasn’t sure. That man was so confusing. One second he’d be nice, the next he’d be a bully.

“Still…”

“It doesn’t matter!” Casey chirped, getting off my bed. “The fair is today, so let’s look forward to that! And who knows, maybe Mr. Heywood will be there, Holly.”

I rolled my eyes. “Why does that matter?”

“Romance,” she said with a French accent.

“Didn’t we just go over this?” Lance demanded sounding irritated.

“You never know,” Casey huffed. “Something might happen.”

I laughed. “Casey, he’s a teacher. I’m a student. That wouldn’t work out. In fact, it’s illegal. And kind of gross.”