Something in the Eyes

Song: Boats and Birds by Gregory and the Hawks

Monday morning my alarm goes off. I sit up, groaning and shut off the alarm. I lean back on the bed and sigh, letting my head fall back. It had been a nice rest of the weekend, Caden and I got some food and talked about music. I learned that he once tried to learn how to play piano, but failed horribly.

"Honestly, it sounded like a horror movie whenever I played. My siblings and parents hated it and begged me to stop taking lessons!" Caden chuckles.

I laugh, a little snort escaping me and I cover my face, embarrassed.

Caden looks at me, a small smile on his face, his eyes searching me, as if he's waiting for me to realize something.

"What about you?" Caden shakes himself out of it. "Did you play anything?"

"Yeah, actually, I do." I nod my head. "I play guitar."

"How long have you played?" Caden tilts his head, bringing his hand up to rub his jaw.

My eyes follow his movement, distracting me from answering. My mind starts wandering with thoughts of him, how attractive I find him, his light scruff sprinkled on his face, his dark eyes sparkling in the light, his hair short and messy from his fingers running through it and—

"Holly?" His voice cuts through my daydreaming. "Are you there?"

My eyes widen in embarrassment of being caught staring at him.

"So sorry, what were you saying?" I try to save myself.

"I asked how long you've been playing guitar" Caden reaffirms.

"Ah, I've been playing for 3 years now. I'm not that great, I taught myself with a cheap guitar I got off Amazon, and a Guitar for Dummies book in all honesty" I laugh.

"Well I would love to hear you play sometime" Caden smiles at me.

I get out of the shower, throwing my wet hair into a loose bun, not wanting to deal with it in my face for the day. I throw on light makeup and grab my camera bag and laptop and put it in my backpack, deciding to go to the café today, secretly hoping that Caden would be there too.

I almost shout goodbye to Dad, only to remember he had told me the night before he was leaving early for work. I glance behind me to double check that all the lights were off, and jiggled the door to make sure it was locked.

I get in the car, plugging my phone into the AUX cord, hitting the shuffle play on Spotify. I drive to the café, quietly singing along to each song, and skipping the ones I'm not in the mood for.

I park in an open space close to the doors of the café. I check my phone one last time, frowning once I see that I don't have any messages, whether it be from my friends or from the person I wanted to hear from, Caden. I sigh, and shove the phone in my back pocket before grabbing all of my stuff and heading in. I enter and scan the café, hoping to see his familiar smile and attention taking demeanor. When I don't see him, I can't help but feel extremely disappointed.

It shocks me when my heart starts to feel like it's aching and missing this man whom I barely know but have been spending so much time with and getting to know. I'm not accustomed to missing someone, especially not a man. I've been used to it being just Dad and I, and occasionally my friends when we have time to see each other.

The barista and I smile and nod to each other while I make my way thoughtfully to my usual table. Perhaps Caden was just late today, and maybe he's been waiting for me to text him first, to show some interest in him.