15 - My Least Favourite Quality About You

Isaac was sitting alone outside on a bench waiting for Freddy and Benji who were both in detention. It was a Wednesday, the day that all their friends would go to the pub and spend time together, all six of them should have been going. The girls weren't talking to Benji, which meant Freddy stepped up and stood by Benji, so by default Isaac was with the boys even though if he could choose he would be spending his time away from all of it. He loved his friends, he really did but, he had gone through it recently and his head was significantly fucked.

He was avoiding his dad, actually, his dad was avoiding him. Their already complicated relationship had changed dramatically since his uncle alongside his mum declaring their marriage. Isaac was hurt. His dad was hurt. They were both hurting, his dad hadn't even touched a drink since his uncle left. It had been a strange few weeks. He didn't know where his dad was going, but he did know that the bills were being paid and food was in the fridge. Isaac didn't really care what his dad was doing if those two things were being done.

Isaac was still trying to wrap his head around what had happened. He had spent so long figuring out what he would say to his mum if he ever saw her again, he didn't even have enough time to think it through before she was gone forever. Isaac did know he hated her. Hated her with ever fibre of his being. How could she do that to him twice? How could she choose his uncle over him? It didn't make any sense to Isaac, it never would. Some part of him was relieved. Relieved that he would never have to worry about her again. Or his shit cunt of an uncle.

On top of all that he was worried about his friends. He was worried that the only constant positive people in his life were going to break off and he would be alone. Again. Gabby was furious with everyone but Kaya. Caggie felt awful for telling Benji, she was trying her hardest to make it up to Kaya, who didn't really care that Caggie told. Not anymore at least. Benji was trying his hardest to wrap his head around everything that had happened. He didn't understand how he had missed it. How Kaya of all people had fallen for him. It was an odd situation.

Freddy was doing what he did best, he was being the best person in everyone's life. He was there for Benji while he questioned everything. He was checking in on Kaya, making sure she was fine. Freddy was comforting Caggie as she cried over ruining their friendship group. Agreeing with Gabby as she ranted about the whole thing. Isaac was always amazed at how good Freddy was with all of that. Isaac would never deal with the drama the way Freddy did. It was impressive.

The one thing that really had Isaac's head spinning was Jake. It had been a week since Isaac had his little chat with Elliot in the boys changing room. A week of waiting for Jake to come to him and tell him everything was ok. Isaac was whipped. The guy owned his arse, and everything was falling apart because Isaac didn't know where he stood. Jake asked for time, Isaac gave him time. He even went to fucking Elliot of all people because he was that worried about Jake and Jake still hadn't said anything. Isaac knew he had no right to feel this way. Jake was scared, he was hurt, Isaac understood more than anyone, but it didn't make Isaac less worried.

He didn't want to lose Jake. It was insane how quickly he had fallen for Jake, how strong his feelings for Jake were. It was ridiculous, Isaac was constantly thinking about Jake. Jake had become one of those people in Isaac's life that were important. That meant something. Even knowing that their future was unclear, Isaac couldn't help but feel warm all over when thinking about Jake. Jake made Isaac feel good about himself, something that rarely ever happens.

Checking the time on his phone Isaac realised that Benji and Freddy would be out soon, looking over towards the other side of the school, he could make out Freddy and Benji leaving the Sixth Form building. The two of them laughing about god knows what. It made Isaac smile, he was glad that through all the mess in his life some of his friends were happy. Something caught Isaac's attention out of the corner of his eye, turning his head slightly he saw Jake walking towards him. Isaac almost fell off the bench when Jake stopped in front of him.

The two stared at each other for a second before Isaac decided to break the silence, "It's good to see you."

Jake pulled his bottom lip in between teeth before running a hand through his hair, "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry about everything."

"It's ok, I understand." Isaac told him softly, standing up from the bench so he was face to face with Jake. Isaac wanted to reach out, to touch him, to hold him. He knew he couldn't it was all about the pace Jake wanted to go.

Jake turned his head slightly, noticing Isaac's friends getting closer. He seemed even more anxious now that he noticed Isaac's friends. Isaac wanted to tell him that they didn't matter, that they already knew, but he didn't think that would help the situation at all.

"Elliot told me what happened. Said you hit him in the face." Jake laughed awkwardly, putting his hands in his pockets.

Isaac snorted, "He deserved it, he's a dickhead."

This time Jake really laughed, like the kind of laugh that made your insides twist in a good way, "He's my best friend."

"And that is my least favourite quality about you." Isaac muttered honestly, trying to ignore the way his heart fluttered with Jake standing this close to him.

Isaac couldn't help the grin that spread across his face as Jake threw his head back laughing, "I'm glad that's the thing you hate about me."

"I couldn't hate anything about you." Isaac told him, "Even if you have shitty taste in friends."

Jake beamed at him, before quickly throwing a look over his shoulder, freezing up when he noticed how close Isaac's friends were. Isaac wanted to curse his friends for having the worst timing.

Jake ran a frantic hand through his hair, "I'm sorry, I know you're busy. I should've waited to talk to you."

"No, Jake, no. I'll ditch them." Isaac rushed, he was serious too. He would forever ditch the mess of his friends at the moment to spend anytime at all with Jake.

"Isaac, don't. Don't do that spend time with them, they're your mates." Jake stepped forward slightly, he was so close to Isaac all it would take to kiss him was to lean forward. It made Isaac's head spin, "I'll see you around, yeah?"

Jake turned and started to walk away, his hearting breaking just a little bit. He still didn't know where he stood with Jake and that made him feel sick. He needed to know, "We're alright, aren't we Jake?"

Jake turned back to look at him and before Isaac could even register what was happening, Jake was in front of him grabbing the sides of his face, pulling him in and kissing him. The kiss was over before Isaac realised what was going on. He was too in shock. Jake had just kissed him in school and there definitely people around. Jake pulled away, just enough to rest his forehead against Isaac's.

"We're so good Isaac. We're good." Jake muttered, before pressing another kiss against to Isaac's lips. Isaac smiled, Jake smiled back. They were good. That's all that mattered. Jake let go and walked away, Isaac didn't even mind. They were good. Jake had kissed him, and they were good. Isaac was on cloud fucking nine.

"Look Freddy, it's loves young dream." Benji teased as they reached Isaac. Isaac didn't care, he was so happy.

"Fuck off Benji." Isaac mumbled, still grinning at Jake's retreating back. It was the best feeling in the world. Jake always made him feel good and now it was even better.

Benji snorted, wrapping an arm around Freddy's shoulders, "Our boy is whipped. It's actually terrifying."

"He's been whipped for ages. He's in love, you muppet." Freddy laughed, leaning into Benji as they both cackled.

Isaac's head whipped round to look at Freddy's laughing face. He was not in love with Jake. Jake wasn't even his boyfriend, they hadn't talked about stuff like that. Isaac was trying to wrap his head around every encounter he had with Jake. How he felt about Jake. It was messing with his head and as he stood there listening to his best mates laughing over his sort of relationship, Isaac realised something.

He was in love with Jake.