Chapter 9: Broken

PART 9

NIALL

My heart kept beating faster and faster as I walked down the stairs. I swear you could hear it from a thousand miles away. All that was going through my head was; you can do it, you can do it. Just ask Skylar one question; will you go on a date with me? Im not gonna ask her to be my girlfriend just yet. I want to see how this first date will go.

As I make it down the stairs, I see her and Ryan dancing to some song I haven't heard of on that dancing game.

"Sky is actually beating you, Ryan" James laughs.

Ryan frowns and pushes Skylar so she can fall and miss some of the dance moves.

"Hey, thats cheating you ass!" She says.

I chuckled. I watch as they both push each other, to try to get a better score. If anything it only made their scores go lower. But it was entertaining to watch. After they were done, Sky went into the kitchen. Louis comes down the stairs just as she went into the kitchen.

He pushes me towards it and gives me a thumbs up. I simply give him a slight nod and smile. I just hope he won't tell the others what Im about to do. Im already nervous enough. But before I can open the door leading to the kitchen, Tiffany calls my name.

"Niall! Can you bring me some water?" She calls out.

"Um, sure" I say.

I go into the kitchen to find Sky sitting on the kitchen countertop. She throws me a water bottle. I catch it quickly. Well that caught me off guard.

"Um, thanks" I said, sounding unsure.

She simply nods and jumps off. She was about to go back into the living room to join the others but I grabbed her arm before she can leave.

"Sky, I've been meaning to ask you something" I said quickly, not knowing how to start this.

"What is it?" She asks.

She looks up at me with her brown eyes sparkling. I noticed that I was still holding her arm, so I quickly let go. Quit being so awkward, Niall! Just ask her the simple question. Will. You. Go. Out. With Me?

"Um, I was wondering if you would like to-"

Tiffany comes in and eyes us up and down. Sky and I both turn towards her.

"Did I interrupt something?"

"Not at all" Skylar says before leaving.

I feel my stomach drop. Are you kidding me. Perfect timing, Tiffany. I hand her the water bottle and she walks out. I hear Ryan, James, Charlie, and Sky say their goodbyes and leave. Great. Now I have to wait to ask Sky out. I sighed.

SKYLAR

Ellie and I were spending the night at Charlie's since she didn't want to stay home alone with our dad gone and all. But, something seemed very different about Ellie. She wasn't...happy. I know that our dad leaving for a six month trip would affect the both of us badly but this was different.

It has only been a few days but it feels like weeks. And for Ellie, I bet it feels like it just happened an hour ago. She wasn't herself. She wasn't the bubbly and chirpy sister that I once knew. She was quiet, often with a frown on her face, and laying down either staring at the ceiling or with her eyes closed.

She refuses to eat and I heard she sits alone at school now. She's usually running around and playing at school but the teacher called me to ask what was wrong. I didn't know what to say. I felt horrible. I wasn't able to give her the happiness that she needed for a six year old. I was going to go tell Ellie to go to bed because she had school the next day. She simply sighed and walked towards the guest room.