SIXTEEN

A lot of the time, you're going into a situation you know nothing about. So what you need is to be quick to act... and make tough decisions in worst-case scenarios.❞ ㅡ Levi Ackerman

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter sixteen:

TURMOIL

Her expression gave away nothing, but her stare was intense and piercing. She watched him with unblinking eyes, unwavering; as if standing half-naked before him was normal. But there was more to it: no shame or anxiety could be noticed in the way she held herself, not anymore. Her emotions were under control, firmly put away as she waited for him to react.

Had she managed to distract him, to turn his mind away from the important questions that rumbled within like drums in the night? 

He silently observed the scar under her bra, not minding her current lack of clothing and focusing on the wounded skin instead. It was almost a perfect replica of the signature he had seen many times on the buildings that belonged to Everhart, yet evidently imperfect. There were occasional lines escaping the outline of the broken wing; random bumps along its shape that gave away the impression it had been done by someone who had either wanted to give it a personal look, or failed to do it properly.

Levi forced his eyes to avert from the ugly wound suddenly, but she had noticed the change in his demeanour ㅡ the fierce expression in his narrowed eyes, the tension in his jaw.

"It's in the past," she whispered in an aloof voice. "There's no need to dwell in it."

"Does Isabel know?"

His question caught her off guard, and her eyes widened briefly before averting to lock on the ceiling.

"She knows I didn't leave her because I wanted to. But some things are better left unsaid," was her nonchalant reply. "Everhart believed the same thing I did: that Isabel wasn't strong enough to survive on her own. It's why they never tried to find her." Her lips twitched. "I was more interesting."

"She kept talking about you," Levi commented, bringing her attention back to him. "I couldn't understand how she could speak so highly of you."

Galene frowned at him. "She's always believed in the good in people, unlike me. It's better if Everhart keep thinking her dead, though."

A long pause fell between them, and she knew she couldn't say more. She could feel he was growing suspicious, and she couldn't allow him to keep prying. 

"I've told you more than you need to know," she cut him off as he was about to speak. "Like I said, some things are better left unsaid."

Levi gave her a long stare, but eventually caved in and clicked his tongue. "You're infuriating."

"Look who's talking," she retorted with a smirk and crossed her arms over her chest. "Jerk."

The movement seemed to catch his attention, for he lowered his gaze. She felt her body become rigid as his eyes roamed her skin freely, as if drinking from the sight. A soft glow crept up her neck to settle across her cheeks as a sudden, burning desire filled her body. 

For a moment, Galene wished it was his hands wandering along her cold skin. Her breath hitched when he glanced up her face to meet her gaze, and she felt her throat clench upon seeing her own desire reflected in his darkened eyes.

"Put some clothes on before you catch a cold, brat." His voice was deeper, his annoyance overshadowed by something unfamiliar as a husky tone coated it.