7. A Story From the Past

(Epona's POV)

We met on a sunny day back on April 18th, 1998. I had been at the market picking up food to make soup for my sister Esfir when I had spotted him. He was arguing with a shop owner selling fruit. Having got everything that I needed for the soup I decided to see what the problem was.

"No...no mango. M.A.N.G.O," The man spelled out to him."..... mango. It's yellow on the inside...No, not orange, I don't want an orange, I want a mango."

He was speaking English to the man which obviously wasn't working. Before he could get even angrier I decide to intervene.

"Αυτό θέλει ο άνθρωπος είναι ένα μάνγκο." (This man wants a mango)

"Ευχαριστούμε! Αυτός πραγματικά αρχίζει να με ενοχλήσει." (Thank you! He was really starting to annoy me.)

The shop owner took out a mango from one of the crates he had below him and handed it to the man next to me.

"Εκεί μπορείτε να πάτε τώρα παρακαλώ... αφήσει τρομάζεις σας μακριά τους πελάτες!" (There you go now please leave...your scaring away the customers!)

"What did he say?" The man asked me.

"To have a lovely day," I replied to him as we started to walk away from the shop over.

"Do you know both English and Greek, then? You sound like an American."

"Yes, but I'm not American. My parents spoke English. And obviously, I live in Greece. It's -- a little complicated."

"Oh okay, I'm just here for school, I don't know much Greek, so thanks for helping me. I'm heading down to the docks for a bit." He said. "Would you like to come?"

"I must head back to my sister now, but it's nice to meet you."

"Alistair by the way." I looked at him confused. "Alistair, my name is Alistair."

"Epona."

On my way home I thought about the man quite a bit. He had blond hair and these bright blue eyes. If I was going to guess his height I'd say he was about 5'11" which was a contrast to my height of 5'1". The way he looked at me though, I've never really believed in love at first sight, but I do believe Alistair might be my one true love.

In the distance, I saw the house that I had lived in for at least fifteen years of my life. I'm 29 years old right now with my birthday coming up in just a few short weeks. My sister Esfir is three years younger than me at the age of 26. We lived in one story house along the ocean. It was a small house, but we loved it. I went in through the back door and then hung up the keys. I walked into our small living room to see my sister laying on the couch. She looked slightly pale, her ocean blue eyes a contrast to her pale skin.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Better." She said looking at me with tired eyes, but I could still see the way her eyes glimmered when she told a joke.

"Lies," I said giving her a small smile. "How are you really feeling?"

"Ready for soup?"

I looked at her once again, but I gave up arguing to get the answer that I didn't want to hear out of her. Making my way to the small kitchen we had in our house, I started to pull out the ingredients that I had gotten from the market that day. Looking at the bit a fruit that I had gotten I once again started to think about the blond American that I had spoken to that day. The way his eyes matched the ocean. He had a little bit of unshaven hair along his chin. From what little bit I had observed from his personality he probably had shaven that morning but got distracted from doing the rest. I giggled a little at the thought, but then quickly stopped remembering that my sister was in the other room. She had been trying to get me to date for a long time now, but I refused to do so.