5. The Start of a New Adventure

August 1, 2018

1:34 PM, Athens Time

(Evie's POV)

"We're..." we said at the same time.".....Mermaids!!!"

I looked down at my tail. It was dark purple kind of like mardi gras purple. The scales were about an inch long, but as you looked further down the tail they got smaller. Not to mention that it looked like my tail was longer than when my legs were there. It was then that I noticed that my top had changed as well. I was now wearing a shimmery silver shell bikini top. My hair that was in braids had magically unbraided themselves and my hair was now down.

Looking over at Tanya I noticed that she had a turquoise blue tail. Her scales also were an inch at the top and when you looked further down the scales got smaller. She had on a green seaweed top.

We looked at each other surprised looks on our faces. Tanya pointed to the surface and I nodded. We both swam up to the surface.

"That was...wow," Tanya said.

"Wow is right," I said. "Has this ever happened to you?"

"No, never. You?"

"No, I've always wanted something like this to happen, but I didn't think it would come true," I said. "Not to mention on my eighteenth birthday."

"Wait! Your turning eighteen today?" Asked Tanya.

"That's just what I said."

"No it's just...I'm turning eighteen today too."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah." Replied Tanya. "So did you wish for a twin sister too or...."

"Uh sorry, no...although I did have an imaginary friend that looked just like me when I was little."

"Hmmm, well anyway maybe we should figure out if this is permanent or not because my dad isn't going to be to thrilled if I come back with scales."

"Haha true." I said." How about we still try to swim to Giaros?"

"Sure."

We dove under the water and after a minute of trying to swim with our tails, we were off. It was an amazing feeling to swim under the water while breathing. It was a little painful at first, but once my lungs got accustomed to it, it felt like I had been breathing water all my life.

It was amazing to see the sea creatures without having goggles on. Normally when I'm looking under the water my eyes are blurry, but I guess since I changed into a mermaid having better eyesight under the water was a perk.

After about ten minutes, I looked ahead at Tanya. I thought about the thoughts that I was hearing in my head the last twelve-ish hours. We looked a lot alike, could that have been her voice in my head? I decided to try it out. If she did hear me, great we figured out something new, if not then I won't look like a fool talking to someone else in my head.

'Tanya? Can you hear me? It's Evie.'

I looked ahead of me at Tanya. I saw her freeze in front of me. Unable to stop myself in time, I crashed into her.

'Ow...'

'What! You mean it was you who I kept hearing today.' Tanya said as she turned around.

'I guess so. I was thinking about it when we were swimming, about the voices I was hearing in my head, that kind of sounded like my voice. I figured since we looked so much alike that it might have been you.' I said. 'So I tried to talk to you in my head.'