Chapter 55: The Council (Part II)

Começar do início

Georgina processed Sylvia's words before responding, slightly annoyed, with: "Well, I've always just heard we don't call them the 'n' word anymore. I don't remember 'colored' stopping, too?"

Sajida busted out in nervous laughter while gasps and wide eyes erupted from the Coterie. Russell's back went pin straight before he gave Georgina a strained smile. But before he could interject to cool the situation down, I opened my mouth and let my thoughts roll off my tongue.

"'Colored' stopped, or should have stopped, after segregation ended," I said to her. "I'm sure you remember when that happened, right?"

Silence. This silence prevailed for a plethora of different reasons for everyone, but it happened. Georgina looked at me like I had lost my mind, her eye twitching and her pale skin seemingly becoming paler. Sylvia's face was hard and tense, whereas Russell was suppressing a smile at my snarkiness. It got to a point where bystanders were listening in now.

"I...yes, I do remember when that happened," Sylvia said, her voice almost croaking. "I remember watching Dr. King's speech on the television."

Silence again. Georgina was having a hard time remaining cordial, so she urged Adam to take her to a group of friends by the grand piano to mingle.

"Nice meeting y'all," he said to us before Georgina practically dragged him away. I felt like I could breathe again when she was gone, but the feeling of breathlessness came back when Russell and I made eye contact. I looked away from him, goosebumps rising on my arms.

"I apologize for Georgina's lack of propriety," Russell said to us. "It is quite sad how there are some among us who are less 'progressive.'"

"Some?" I said, not knowing the words came out of my mouth until Sajida laughed again.

"Lisa," Mama hissed, but Russell was entertained by my outspokenness.

"Yes, some," Russell said. "Are you suggesting otherwise?"

I took a deep breath, "Well, most if not all of you were born during a time where black people weren't even considered human. Even if 'some' are not as progressive as others, you have to admit that there's a superiority complex apparent here with everyone part of your 'camp,' right?"

Russell thought of his response for a moment, "I agree, there are vampire clans who think of themselves as superior to other clans, specifically clans of color, but to say every white vampire is prejudice is quite a bold statement."

"Not every white vampire, exactly. But every white vampire from your time that's here at this party? I'd be willing to bet on it."

"Then in that case, what about me? Are you saying that I'm prejudice?"

I laughed, "Why don't you tell me?"

"Because it will be an answer you won't like."

"So, I'm right?"

"No, you're wrong."

I scoffed, making Russell laugh.

"See? An answer you don't like because it does not validate your claim."

"You could easily be telling me what I want to hear."

"Or, I don't fit the mold you have of me in your present mind, which confuses you."

Present mind. Two words that both Russell and I both caught onto quickly, making it hard for me to form any other words. The look he gave me was as if he was holding back deeply; he wanted to speak about our time together in the past. He wanted to share the memories. But he couldn't, because he knew I had no recollection of them yet. So he played them over in his head and enjoyed them himself.