Chapter 21: Sly Witch

**

Erzulie's point was made abundantly clear. Well, I was a little confused when she began crying, rambling about the fate of humanity, but besides that, she had made her point very clear.

Once she left us, Rocio was in denial about what had just happened.

"No." she shook her head, expelling the ideas from her mind. "There's no way. Erzulie isn't going to make Lisa do that, Aza. Right?"

"Her terms were clear," I said, trying to keep a level head. "She said -"

"I know what she said, Lisa," Rocio snapped at me as if she was the one tasked with seducing a vampire. I didn't have the energy to deal with Rocio's rudeness but instead wondered just how this was going to work. Aza paced the room in deep thought. I stared at her, waiting for any type of judgment on her end.

"Lisa," she then said, "if you don't want to do this, you don't have to. We'll find another way like we always do."

There was pity seeped deep in Aza's voice, almost like she felt bad for everything I've gotten myself into and everything I couldn't get myself out of. I didn't want her to think of me as hopeless - I didn't want anyone to think of me as hopeless anymore. Yes, manipulating an elder vampire would undoubtedly end in death. But I wondered if Hezekiah was capable of killing me so quickly; he had opportunities to hand me over to Abraham or even end my life, but he never took them. I didn't know why then, and frankly, I didn't want to know. All I cared about was that it gave me some kind of advantage.

At least I thought I did.

"There isn't another way, Aza," Kizzy said. "This is our best shot."

"But what if Lisa goes through with this and Erzulie goes bad on her word?" Esther asked. Aza was quickly offended.

"Ezili never goes bad on her word," she replied, solidifying her answer with a deep-rooted glare. Esther apologized but was still uncertain. I still hadn't said anything more; I was thinking. Worrying.

"If the Coterie finds out -"

"The Coterie won't find out," Aza interrupted Rocio, nearing her amidst the ceremonial flour scattered on the floor, "because we ain't gonna say nothing. Everything we've said, everything we've done, stays in this house, you heard me?"

Aza's message was loud and clear to all of us. Regardless of her rogue nature, even Aza was fearful of Mama's wrath. But I doubt anybody was as fearful as I was. I couldn't imagine the shitstorm I would face if she even knew about me entertaining the thought of agreeing with Erzulie's dark and morbid request. But I did agree. And I didn't want to turn back on my own word.

"I already told Erzulie I would do it," I announced, my glasses fogging from stress-sweat. "I can't just change my mind now, I mean I made a deal with a goddess."

"And the Silver Syndicate is expecting us to deliver," Kizzy added.

"We don't owe them shit!" Rocio snapped, and suddenly, they all began arguing. The pressure was getting to them, that was for certain. But what made the situation harder to deal with was the fact that this was our best option. If this worked, we would have an Elder vampire in our possession. The leverage and information we could garner from Hezekiah would be invaluable - if he decided to talk. But if he kept his mouth shut, and if Abraham knew we had hurt Hezekiah in any way, there's no doubt Abraham would come after us; territorial agreements would go to complete shit. If I was going to do this, I had to do it right. It wasn't like I was new to the concept of sex; college awarded me with countless conquests. But Hezekiah was different -uncomparable to the one-night stands I've had and boyfriends I've had along with those, too. I had to be able to stab this bloodsucker without giving him a chance to react. Vampires are quick. Very quick. Clever, too. The moment Hezekiah figured I was up to something, it would be game over.