Chapter 48: Bayou of The Shunned

**

My hands were firm on the steering wheel as Mikael and I journeyed through the darkened road. It had been one hour of us in the car, the city turning into country and the road transitioning into dirt and moist earth beneath my car's wheels. We kept conversation minimal the first hour because we were both nervous. Mikael, however, was more anxious than I was. He had never been to the Bayou of the Shunned, but like everyone else, had heard tales about the cursed swamp and the witch that ruled over it as its Supreme Sorceress. Sajida was the bedtime story mambos and houngans told their kids about to keep them in line; in the black community, Sajida was "that" woman that the children of voodooists were scared to encounter when the lights went out - Similar to La Llorona in Mexican folklore, a tale told to children to frighten them. Only Sajida wasn't a legend like La Llorona. Sajida was real.

"You keep acting up, Sajida gone come get y'all in your sleep!" Mothers would say to their kids. Of course, I knew nothing about Sajida the Shunned growing up; mama intended to keep the story of my aunt a secret from me. But now, I was well acquainted with her.

Now, I was going to go visit her again.

I didn't know what to expect, nor what I was going to ask her. There was a lot I wanted to know; this mission was forbidden, as the Coterie would skin us alive if I even mentioned the idea of going to see her alone. But now, we were on our way, so I felt as if time was short since the mambos likely knew we were gone, Kizzy or Imani having told them where we possibly left to.

"How much longer?" Mikael asked. These were the first words he had said to me in a long while.

"About another twenty minutes. I recognize these trees."

I looked up at the darkened trees that stood tall, branches bending like claws. The road was becoming bumpy; we were indeed close. I looked over at Mikael briefly, who was staring out of the window now, his leg shaking.

"It doesn't feel right," I said, "bringing you along."

"Why?"

"I don't want to put you in danger."

"Our lives are the embodiment of danger, now. So, I suppose this doesn't make much of a difference."

I managed a laugh. We both did. My stomach turned when I recognized the forest even more, the farther we traveled.

"Do you trust her?" Mikael asked. "Sajida, I mean."

I shrugged. "I'm not sure. But it's weird. I feel like she and I are similar in some ways."

Mikael was nearly disgusted by the comparison. "How?"

"I'm not a witch, obviously. What I mean is, I've always felt like the odd one out. I've always felt different. And my potential has never been recognized by anyone, even by me. Sajida's the same way. Everyone alienates her. My own mother hates her. Everyone is afraid of her because of what she's capable of, but she's the only one that willing to face the truth. To embrace it, I guess."

Mikael listened intently but I could tell he didn't feel the same way about Sajida. He feared her as everyone else did. To him, she was pure evil. To me? I wasn't sure. I was willing to entertain the idea of Sajida being more than just evil.

I decided to change the subject. "Does it hurt?" I asked him.

"What?"

"Your nose." I pointed to the bruised spot where I punched him.

"Oh. The pain has subsided a bit." He looked at my nose. "How about you?"

I shook my head. "It doesn't hurt anymore. The bruising is letting up quickly, thank God. But it's still noticeable."