Archie

"Stay

"Stay..." I've rolled over in my bed to see my boyfriend Archie changing into new clothes for the day. He sighs a little bit, throwing a sweatshirt over his head and sitting on the edge of my bed. My arms wrap around his waist, my head resting on his leg, his hands knotting in my hair. I don't think either of us can bring ourselves to look at the other.

"I'm sorry." A new flood of tears hits my eyes, but I refuse to cry anymore in front of him, I don't want to make him feel worse. He already knows this hurts. When he told me a couple days ago that he was going to head towards the border, I don't think I believed him until he started getting rid of his stuff. He turned his phone off, taking out the battery, bought burner phones. He's making himself a ghost. I pull away from him, he lays down with me. It's early, the sunlight is only just starting to peak out from the blinds. Archie hugs me close, "I'm sorry."

"I love you, just be safe." My hands are running through his hair, his body is so tense.

"I love you too. I'll be okay, I promise. I just want you to be safe." His lips press to my cheek, an alarm sounding from his phone and he looks at it, looking back at me, "I have to go."

"Until next time Archie." It's clear we're at a standstill, he gets out of bed slowly, raising the hood of his sweatshirt. He grabs his book bag off of the floor and he simply just smiles at me, his hand raising in a half-wave. His hand on the doorknob of my bedroom door and he looks at me again. My lips part to say something as he opens the door, shutting it behind him.