Chapter Five - #EggplantSunday

***Before you read any further, please note that this chapter contains sexual content! Read at your own discretion!***

     Most Sundays, I normally lay around in bed, do homework, play a few games of NBA2K and binge watch some Breaking Bad. The start of season four is planned for today but that won't be happening because my father is interrupting that. Supposedly, he wants to come and see me and Mom, catch up on life and have some dinner. I haven't seen him in almost six years so what makes today any different? My father isn't the type of man to keep his word or his promises, so to hear that he is coming, surprises me. Also, I never thought Mom would agree to let him come over and stay for dinner, especially after the previous phone call I heard between them. I guess he said something important enough on the phone to her, for her to allow him to come. Today is not going to be a typical Sunday.

     The sun peeks through my bedroom window as I chill and think about the events of last night. My father is not supposed to get here for another three hours, so I relax in bed, turn Netflix on and shoot Toya a text message. I tell her that I enjoyed hanging out and that we should do it again sometime. Last night was the best night I have had since moving to California. The most I have done since moving here is go to Santa Monica beach and walk the pier. Maybe, we can go together one day. Toya is a very down to earth type of chick and that's what I like about her. It was easy talking to her and we had some great conversations throughout the night. And she was fun, not one of those stuck up Cali chicks who think they are too good this or that.

     My phone vibrates and flashes next to me, I expect it to be a reply from my message to Toya but it's Day'quan instead. "Sup bro. Down for some 2k?"

     "Yeah," I respond. He gives me his PSN ID and I tell him to give me fifteen minutes.

     I go downstairs and see Mom standing at the kitchen island, preparing things for dinner. I think to myself that it's pretty early for her to be getting things prepped but then I notice what she is doing. She is putting together a marinade for some salmon. She has olive oil, honey, soy sauce, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper and lemon sitting on the counter. She'll zest the lemon, mix all the ingredients together and let the salmon marinate it for a few hours. I tell her good morning and reach for a bowl out of the dishwasher. I give it a quick rise in the sink then put some Cinnamon Toast Crunch and milk inside it. I eat a spoonful of it while asking, "What are we having with that?"

     "Couscous and asparagus. Is that fine with you?" she expresses. She seems irritated. I'm not sure if she is annoyed at the fact that my father is supposed to come or because of me asking her about the sides, all while smacking in her ear at the same time.

     "Yeah, I guess so," I answer and leave the kitchen. I go back upstairs but not before stopping at the bathroom.

     I plop down onto the bed and grab for my PlayStation controller with my free hand. I put on my HyperX gaming headset, turn on the PS4, type in Day'quan's name and send him a request. He approves the request practically at the same time that I send it. I click on 2K18 and we start our game. He picks the Cleveland Cavaliers and I chose Golden State. The warriors are my go-to team because of my boy, Steph Curry. We play quite a bit of the game and talk about last night.