Chapter 34

PART TWO

It was a cool and particularly drizzly day in Seattle. Fall was settling in, and the cloudless and sunny days of summer were now few and far between. I watched the early morning rainfall from the window of Easy Street as I slipped on my apron and tied it behind my back.

I sighed heavily.

It took a lot to not bitterly remind Jen that I didn't sign up to be a waitress.
But, she had been extremely generous to me since the beginning, so when her "little idea" of starting the cafe in the record store really took off, I tried my best not to complain.
Lately, I spent most of the day on the restaurant side, especially when I worked mornings.
We went through dozens of pots of coffee each day, and the official breakfast menu was a hit.

Yesterday morning, I waited on the table of an old acquaintance by the name of Cameron Crowe.
I smiled as I recalled our conversation.

"Heather?" he asked incredulously.

It only took me a second to recognize him. "Yes. Hi, Cameron."

He grinned. "How are you? It's been awhile." 

I gave him mental brownie points for not mentioning my dark hair.

"I'm doing good. How are you?"

"I'm fantastic. Things around here are really starting to heat up for a journalist like myself."

"Oh?"

Cameron nodded, leaning forward I'm an excited way. "This city is about to be on the map. Guarantee it. Soundgarden, which is probably my favorite band right now, never ceases to amaze me. They're beginning work on a new album, my inside sources say. Alice In Chains, too, are phenomenal. Cantrell, Staley? What vocals!
And Nirvana, the three piece band from the Olympia area, just gets more popular by the day. Not to mention, word on the street is that Jeff and Stone are starting a new band. Endless material to work with." He raised his eyebrows mischievously and took a sip of his coffee.

"Sounds like you have your hands full."

"Indeed. By the way, you and Jeff are sort of a...thing, right?"

"We were," I corrected. "Now we're just friends."

He frowned slightly. "That's too bad. I was going to ask you if you had any details on the rumored new band."

"They're looking for a singer, that's about all I know."

"Hmm. Interesting. Who will take the place of the late, charismatic frontman, Andrew Wood?"

"Good headline."

He smiled. "Thank you. Now, I suppose I should order. I've had so many people tell me to come try this place out. It's supposed to be the best breakfast in West Seattle."

"Well I hope it lives up to the hype," I said, smiling as I pulled out my notepad and pen.

"What can I get you?"