Chapter 4

I decided that tonight I'll work on my relationship with Omer. Obviously we're together out of pure convenience, but that doesn't mean we should act like complete strangers. We are married after all. Maybe we can even become friends? It would sure make this entire process much easier. Then when the time comes he can happily walk into the sunset with Veronica. Then I can eventually move on, focus on myself and my goals.

This shouldn't be too hard. Right?

Of course it will be. It's Omer Alsan we are talking about. I may not know him well enough, but one thing I do know is that reputation perceives him. As far as I'm aware, he's always had a stick up his ass.

"Mrs. Aslan, your dress has arrived." Andrea walks into my room and sets it down on my bed.

I fix my lipstick one more time and make my way to open it.  Wow, it's beautiful. "She really out did herself this time, didn't she Andrea?"

"As always."

"Email Zana Francis, and thank her."

"Will do."

I quickly change into the dress. Once I feel comfortable with how I look I rush out the door with Andrea in tow. Maybe the best way to start off a friendship with him isn't to be late.

The driver opens the door of the limo. Andrea and I slide in. John is the first to greet us.

Omer just looks annoyed. "You're late."

"Well, hello to you too." I turn to Andrea. "Is-"

"He's right behind us as instructed."

Marcus, follows me everywhere I go. He gives me a sense of peace. And unfortunately I do need him. There are certain people who wouldn't mind me being out of the picture, and they are too close for comfort.

Andrea and John team up and give us a brief of the attendees of the Gala. They give us conversation starters, who to avoid, who to acknowledge. The basics of any event I attend. It's hard to keep track of everyone important at these things. Especially when you only see them less than a hand full of times.

I take a look at Omer. His eyes are glued to the window. Probably as a way of ignoring me. Better now than never.

"Thank you for the dress." I said referring to the one that arrived this morning along with other things. It was a Valentino original, but Francis Couture has always been my preferred brand for any event.

"You're not wearing the dress." He turns to stare right at me. He's intense. I'll give him that.

"I prefer Francis Couture. Zana takes her time to make a line of amazing designs specifically for me. When I am in need of one she has them send over."

He ignores my rant and resumes in staring out the window.

I was about to improvise another conversation to get his attention, but his phone rang.

"Aslan." He answered. "Good." He hung up.

"Mr. and Mrs. Alsan, we have arrived". The driver announced.

John quickly moves from beside Omer and sits next to Andrea. Omer slides closer to the door where we will be exiting and John motions for me to sit where he was a moment ago. The driver opens the door and the cameras feverishly begin to light up the night. Omer, serious as ever, extends his hand once he's out the car. I let him help me out with a smile.