Akira Toya x OC Sequel [Hikaru no Go]

EVERLASTING PASSION OF GO

Hinata pov:

3 years. 3 years have passed since I saw Akira.

It was just a few days after valentines day that things changed. I had confessed that I liked him and we played go together just like every other day, but he changed a few days after that. It all happened because of a boy named Hikaru Shindou.

I didn't know what had happened until I arrived at the go salon that day. I was cheerful that I would get to see Akira again, but when I got there, the atmosphere was grim. All the people on the go salon including the receptionist were standing around Akira's table and talking in hushed whispers. I had asked them what was going on and they had told me that Akira had been beaten by a kid his own age.

I was very surprised when I had heard that. Akira was one of the best players I had ever seen. He was good enough to be a pro at that age and yet there was another person our age who was good enough to beat him? That was just crazy! And the kid had played a teaching game against Akira...which made his defeat even more depressing for him.

But after that one game, Akira changed. For the first time, I had seen him so upset, so distracted. Days went on and all he did was play that one game over and over. I had tried to talk to him, to make him play a teaching game with me....but nothing worked. All he did was sit alone and think about how he was beaten by a kid his own age. He would stay at the go salon till late in the evening and I would be with him. But its like he was in a place I couldn't reach him and even my visits to his house stopped.

Time has flown by now. I stopped going to the salon as high school got hectic. I joined the tennis team and became the team captain soon after. Akira got busy with playing in the go associations and taking up the pro exams too. Well, he's done with the exams and he's a pro now and I have been keeping track of everything about him and his father.

The other kid, Hikaru is still taking the pro exam. He was a year late compared to Akira but I have been reading that he's quite a good player too. Akira had seen him as a rival ever since their first game and I had even heard that Akira played in the school tournament just to play against Hikaru. I guess they are both really passionate players and I can truly see that the put in everything they can to do their best in every game.

I haven't lost touch at go either. Even though I don't play as often as I used to when I was playing with Akira, I still try to play a few games every now and then. Even though I'm not someone who is good enough to go pro, I think having an interest and passion for the game is good enough to keep playing. And I have to say, I have gotten a little better. I'm a 7 kyu player now and that is a pretty good level to be I guess. Well, it would be embarrassing if I haven't progressed even this much in 3 years.

But the thing is, just as I reach a higher level, the strength of the players is so high that it takes me several games just to play as an equal against them. Since I play on online go websites, I can tell that people from all over the world have such amazing understanding and knowledge about the game. And I'm sure I have learnt quite a lot by playing against all those people.

But even though 3 years have passed, my feelings towards Akira haven't changed. In fact, I think they have grown a lot stronger. Watching him become a pro, and reading about all the games he's been winning makes me proud and happy that I know him. Well, I haven't met him in these three years but I believe that he hasn't forgotten me. Being a normal high school girl, I wasn't able to support him by being next to him but I always cheered him on from the side and prayed for his success. And I hope to meet him sometime soon.

In fact, when I say soon, I mean in the next four days.

In four days, the go association is holding a go festival to celebrate the anniversary of the go associations establishment. All the pro's will be attending an its open to public. Which means that the public can play against the new pro's. And obviously people will be flowing in like crazy to play against Akira....and I could get a chance to meet him again too. Of course, there is also the big obstacle of his fan girls.....but I'm sure I'll be able to meet him.