Chapter Fourteen: The Acceptance

AN::
sorry that the last two chapters have been kinda build up chapters! I promise good stuff is coming!!
Also sorry for the late upload. I'm in college and stuff has been crazy.

Much love
-c
_________________
_________________

Mai stood in a large open field.

She had accidentally fallen asleep in the car and she had no idea how long they had driven. All she knew was she didn't have a nightmare.

Shigaraki stood next to her, that hand back on his face.

Mai fidgeted with her sweater. "So you're just gunna stand here and watch me fly?"

Shigaraki shrugged, "We could make a game."

Mai's eyes narrowed with irritation. "I don't want to play a game."

Shigaraki shrugged once more, "Then just fly Mai. It's what you wanted to do."

That is what she had said.

A gust of wind flew past her, and Mai found herself speechless.

Her wings opened behind her, cascading in silver light. She allowed it to glow at its full brightness and for a moment, it felt like a weight had been lifted from her chest.

Mai took a step forward, allowing her wings to open wide to their full span. She let out a breath, her wings beginning to pump back and forth and back and forth.

And then she was off the ground. She didn't notice the effect her launch had on the ground bellow.

The ground didn't exist anymore.

Her wings carried her higher and higher until she was so far above the trees at the far end of the field. She let out a laugh, deep and maddening.

And shot forward.

The wind stung her cheeks, but she relished in the pain. Bathed in it.

She moved fast, as if she was part of the wind. As if she was cleaved from the same cloth as the air itself.

The tension fell from her spine, her thoughts and mind melting away with each pump of her wings.

Trees danced beneath her and she kept flying and flying, laughing. She moved her fingers in the wind, banking and turning back around. It wasn't long until she was flying above Shigaraki. He looked up at her.

He seemed so small from up here.

Mai found herself moving toward the ground. She hovered just above him.

"You know I could kick you in the face right now and you could do nothing about it as I fly away."

She saw the edge of his eyes curl with a grin, "True. But you'd have to come down eventually."

"Yes, but you'd have a disfigured face."

He laughed. She paused, her spine rigid as she lowered completely to the ground.

"That's the second time you've laughed." She said simply, her back beginning to ache slightly.

He frowned, a tint of annoyance in his voice "I've laughed before."

Mai shook her head, "Not like that you haven't."

Shigaraki was silent for a moment.

Mai opened her wings once more. "You know, I could maybe carry you. I could—" what was she saying "maybe take you up."

Shigaraki laughed dryly, "I don't trust you not to drop me."

Mai shrugged, "Good point."

And blasted into the air once more.