Chapter One: The Before

Fire, fire and death and exploding ruins.
Stone and blood and pain.
Destruction.
Destruction.
And it was all her fault.

"Wake up." A far off, raspy voice whispered.

And in an instant it was gone, leaving Saito Maiya bolting upright in her bed. A thin layer of sweat coated her skin, her chest rising and falling as she brought a hand to her chest.

A nightmare, she whispered to herself, her voice choked and dry.

She flopped back down onto her small bed, her irredesent wings barking in pain. She ignored it as she hauled her blanket onto her despite the flush on her skin. She curled into herself, bringing her knees to her chest and counted to three.

1, my name is Saito Maiya.
2, I am safe.
3, I am home.

These were the thing she would comfort herself with, the only things she would allow to comfort her. Things she did not have for so long.

She watched through heavy eyes as dusk light cascades through the window and cursed lowly under her breath.

She had moments, pure moments before—

A slam sounded in the room, her door nearly splintering it as is opened.

"MAI! MAI! It is the day! It's the day! It's the day of the entrance exam!" Her younger sister was nearly screeching, still in her striped pajamas as she launched her body onto Mai's Her wild black hair moving on a phantom wind as she straddled her sister, who was pretending to be asleep.

Her sister frowned impatiently, "Mai. Get up."

Mai groaned in response, and not even a second later a pillow slammed into her face with such a force her silver hair eyes flashed open. "Wake up! You promised to walk me to the exam!" Her sister was nearly screeching, sending a buzz through her ears.

Mai sighed, rolling over- sending her younger sister flying to the ground.

"Fine." Mai grumbled, the phantom of a smile on her face as she watched her sister haul herself up.

"Mother is making breakfast, my favorite." Her sister bragged, flipping on the light switch "Pancakes!"

"Great, I hate pancakes." Mai chimed, smiling as she stretched her limbs. Her mighty wings stretched behind her, a slight glow illuminating from the feathers. She tried not to notice her sister gaping in their wake.

"Yes, but you love me." Her sister smiles, revealing the slight gap in her teeth.

Mai smiled once more, her wings safetly tucked behind her back. "That I do, Kiho. That I do."

Kiho paused suddenly at her door, and Mai watched as her eyes shifted from excitement to sadness. Mai swallowed the lump in her throat, not meeting her younger sisters brown eyes.

"I heard you screaming again, in your sleep."

Mai felt her face begin to burn, "I am sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you o-or—" She was stumbling on her words, but Kiho shook her head.

"I will become a hero, I will become a hero for you Mai. I will become a hero so I can defeat the types of villains who hurt you in the past, who did those horrid things to you and your birth parents."

"Kiho, I—I," Mai felt as if her throat was burning, and she gripped her sheet bellow her so tightly her knuckles turned white with rage.

Her sister smiled before her, her plump cheeks nearly covering her eyes "Anyway, don't take to long getting dressed. If I am late to the exam I will murder you." Her sister laughed softly, and then swiftly left- leaving Mai alone in her room.